Do I have a flue issue here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trink2030

Nov 11, 2016
Patton PA
I looked up from my firebox and saw a possible issue. My chimney guy can't squeeze me in for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping someone here can take a look at the pictures I'm attaching and let me know if I have an issue that needs addressed. I have a fireplace that's built into the wall like the one at this link.

http://www.fireplacex.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?modelsku=98500104#Documents

It has a triple walled stainless flue that runs about 30 feet straight up, no bends. My concern is where they tied the flue to the stove. On the right side of the picture you can see a crack with, what appears to be, air movement. I assume it's been like this since installation 7 years ago, I burn about 2 cords a winter. I'm thinking of pushing some stove cement into that crack, should I?

Also, I'm surprised to see self tappers up there. I would think that the first piece is an adapter between the fireplace and the flue, why wouldn't the flue twist lock onto the top part of the adapter. There are no more self tappers further up the chimney.

Any thoughts are appreciated, Thanks!

20161110_184714.jpg 20161110_184737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not perfect, but it doesn't look dangerous. If you want to put a little cement in the gap, no harm.

Could that be from a little rainwater leaking down the outside of the liner?

Went by the stove place on my way home and showed them the picture too. He sold me mill-pak. I cleaned up the area and sealed her up. Thanks for the water idea, I'll take the outside air intake off and see if I have a water issue. I hope not, heights aren't my thing.

Thanks folks

20161111_163730.jpg 20161111_164910.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Milpack will not hold up under those conditions. Neither will furnace cement, it will just fall out due to expansion and contraction. That crack wasn't even noticeable to me until you sealed it. It's perfectly normal and not a concern.

The screws are kinda odd, but sometimes the inner liner will not lock into the stovetop and you need to fasten it, otherwise the inner pipe pulls loose later on in the install process...
What fireplace do you have?

The above link to the stove is actually the same stove. It doesn't say it anywhere else, but there's also a gold placard on the stoves front that says Artisan FPX.

http://www.fireplacex.com/ProductGuide/ProductDetail.aspx?modelsku=98500104#Documents

The spec sheet is this link

http://www.fireplacex.com/TravisDocs/93508090.pdf

The flue suggested in the manual wasn't used, instead a triple walled stainless flue was installed. Not sure of the brand and am unable to get the information. I have no experience here by the way. According to the manual, the top of the stove is just a hole and a flue adapter is needed, so why would the flue have an adapter that wasn't twist lock on the flue side. Strange/bad design/installer just running screws? I have no idea unfortunately.

I would love to open up the outside of the house to see what's really going on and to inspect, but I don't think the benefit would outweigh the amount of work needed. What do you think?

Yes, a few different pipes were approved for the FPX, sounds like you have Temco brand pipe. That would explain why they screwed the inner pipe to the flue collar/anchor plate. Duravent makes double wall pipe for the FPX but it's inner wall is not separate from the outer wall.

Not much information on Temco out there. Did Temco and FMI make their triple walls with a blanket between the first and second layers?

Status
Not open for further replies.