Do I have a gasket problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loco Gringo

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2011
Western North Carolina
Whats happening is that unless I burn on the hot side with keeping my airflow above I guess 75% I get a heavy build up in the left bottom corner of my glass that reaches 4 inches toward the opening side and all the way to the top but it tapers down from there in a triangle shape. I have to really pull on a dollar bill in that area to get it through but the opposite side it comes out with ease. I see where I can tighten the latch to pull it tighter on that side if its the door gasket but it seems that it would be doing the opposite by it being so tight where the build up is occurring. Any ideas or actual experiences like this?

Here is a pic of the stove. Imagine a triangle of heavy soot coming from the bottom left of the glass where it has Buck stamped on it. I have it clean now so I cant get a pic of whats happening.
http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model21.html

Two quesstions. One, does the stove have a hole under the door that blows air into the middle of the load? Two, are you loading N/S with the end of a split right in front of that hole?

1 yes
2 yes but it occurs no matter how I load if Im not mistaken Bart.

You a smoker? If so, w/ the stove cranking move a lit cigarette (or whatever you are puffing on) around that door and see if it gets sucked in anywhere. Could always use a smoldering match or incense stick.

pen

Yeah we smoke, but only outside. I can do this pen, but why would it build up on the tight side? Couldnt it be the glass gasket leaking? Would I see smoke being pulled in with so much heat radiating from the glass?

Make sure that that hole is aimed at space between two splits. Not at the end of one. The air bouncing back from the hole defeats the airwash and craps up the glass. Mine used to make an almost perfect "O" in the center of the glass. With crud all around the O. With less than dry wood it would make patterns like yours as stuff spewed out of the end of the split in the middle.

Loco Gringo said:
Yeah we smoke, but only outside. I can do this pen, but why would it build up on the tight side? Couldnt it be the glass gasket leaking? Would I see smoke being pulled in with so much heat radiating from the glass?

Only one way to find out that I know of Loco. Can't see the harm in trying regardless of what you find.

pen

Update--I spoke to the dealer and he suggested I tighten my latch up since Im getting increased airflow from that side. I did just that and the dollar bill has to be pulled through as hard as the hinged/soot enriched side now. Ill get a burn before the weekend thanks to a frontal system coming in and Ill report back as to what I experience. This all make sense now. I was keeping the glass clean on the loose side seeing how it was acting as an added air wash, and building up soot on the far end where the air flow ceased. I hope to see an increase in air wash and secondary air. I hope it works, and someone else can also learn from this.

fingers crossed.

pen

Hope that nails it.

UPDATE
That fixed the problem fellas. I have clean glass and a cleaner burn with secondary burn lasting over an hour (when its below freezing temps) now thanks to that small effort. I hope this can help someone else in the future with the same problem. Clean glass is sooooooo nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.