Do I need an offset?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike7622

Dec 11, 2015
Wilmington, DE
I finally have just about everything narrowed down that I want to purchase, including the Englander 30-NC, 18 ft. of class a chimney pipe, and a kit to go through the wall. My question is once I go through the wall will I require an elbow to avoid a 12 inch overhang from my second story wall? At 8 feet from the ground, the second story siding protrudes approximately 12 inches and then goes straight up to the roof. If I install the through the wall support, will I be able to meet the 2 inch minimum requirement when I get to the 2nd story, or will I need to offset it with an elbow kit? I attached a picture to give a better representation of what I mean. Thank you!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 105
I would just come out of the house with a longer section through the thimble.
It will move the tee out, but you should be able to adjust your mounting
bracket to accommodate that extra length.
It'll give you a nice straight run for drafting & brush cleaning, as well.

I would just come out of the house with a longer section through the thimble.
It will move the tee out, but you should be able to adjust your mounting
bracket to accommodate that extra length.
It'll give you a nice straight run for drafting & brush cleaning, as well.

^^^^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^^

Pretty sure you are going to need an offset, unless someone knows how to mount the tee further out from the wall.

When you mount the tee it sets up the vertical run with 2" of clearance. I used Duraplus in my install and they have a table that makes it super easy to calculate the offset.

Edit: didn't hit submit for a few minutes and look what happens. See above, I like his idea.

So if I just ran maybe a 24 inch section through the thimble, I should be able to adjust the mounting bracket to make that fit? I would definitely rather do that than worry about an offset.

I would say yes, but you should check the mounting bracket
specs & installation instructions offered by the manufacturer.
That's where you will find the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.