Do I need bricks in my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jegka

Jan 28, 2008
Southern IL
There is a wood stove in the basement of my new (to me) farmhouse. It looks sound...a (very) little surface rust, no cracks. I have had the chimney professionally cleaned and a double-walled (something) put in, and it will sit in a large cement/ceramic tile area, so I feel that's all safe. The question I have that I can't seem to find online is whether I need bricks inside the stove. It appears to be a single wall of cast iron and I've read burning too hot can crack it, which I of course want to avoid.

I have no idea how old it is. It looks very very much like a round oak stove but says "Comfort Stove" on the front. It is a little over 4 feet tall, four legs on a square base, two (damper?) adjustment knobs in chrome, one on the big front door and one on the little ash door below, and a tall fancy chrome finial on top over a small (5") round plate. It is about 14 inches across and it a straight cylindar, not a tapered shape (like what I imagine a "pot belly" to be.) I can't imagine how I would place bricks in it and make them stay, but I don't want to crack the sides.

If you can please tell me how I should use this stove I would very much appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.