1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Do I need to remove loose sawdust from wood pellets before putting them in my pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Randy, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Randy

Randy New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    Do I need to remove loose sawdust from wood pellets before putting them in my pellet stove? Some people say I do so it won't ruin the auger.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    If it builds up too much - causes jams
  3. Randy

Randy New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    So if I keep an eye on the auger and there is no build up it is fine? What is meant by build up? Thanks for answering.
  4. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    By loose sawdust do you mean fines? The wood dust that mostly sticks to the insides of the pellet bags?
    Put your pellet stove and the pellets your burning in your signature like mine below. Some stoves are pickier that others when it comes to fines and it will help us provided better feedback.
    Defiant likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy New Member

Loc:
    Canada
    Thanks but I know what the fines are , just wondering when build up of the fines are too much to cause a jam. Does it have to be enough to actually stop the auger from moving? Is loose sawdust around the auger ok or will it cause a problem? Sorry I don't have a picture but my stove is a Glowboy or Danson bay glass door something????.

I was told to screen all my pellets that I would burn to remove all sawdust as it could damage the auger.

Thanks.
    Randy!!
  6. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Just trying to clarify what you meant by sawdust. There are cases where pellets have broken down which creates a situation that is not the same as fines. i.e. wet pellets turn into sawdust.
    Some fines are to be expected and in most cases don't present issues with operation. If your particular pellets seem to have excessive fines then the stove may need to be cleaned more often. I am not experienced with your model stove but I am sure other members here will chime in as to what level of fines will may affect the auger.
  7. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    ..seems that some stoves are more 'sensitive' to 'fines',... seems some pellet brands yield more 'fines' than others,... I think it safe to say that most of us dont sift our pellets.... Ive never had a prob.
    gbreda, jtakeman and Defiant like this.
  8. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    X2
  9. skibladerj

skibladerj Member

Loc:
    North of Scranton
    I sift my pellets, I think that my stove runs better but it could also be my imagination. Then again some of the brands that I have tested have produced about 2 cups worth of fines per bag! (powerhouse was the brand)
  10. sheetmetaldan

sheetmetaldan New Member

Loc:
    Acushnet, Ma
    Maybe Powderhouse would be a better brand name! ;lol
    Augmister and Jack Morrissey like this.
  11. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    X3
  12. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    no way i'm throwing away btu's . not to mention that sifting is work .
    Jack Morrissey likes this.
  13. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I dump my bags in, fines and all. I can see the fines coming through with the pellets, they just burn. I don't make a habit of dumping the fines into the hopper if I can help it, but I'm also not loosing sleep over it. I have yet to read someone had an issue with fines in an average dry bag.
    Mr. Spock likes this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    X4
  15. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    X5
  16. iceguy4

iceguy4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate, NY
    X6
  17. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
  18. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    X some other number higher than Xena's.

If you are concerned shake the bag of pellets and dump only the first 30 pounds into the hopper dump the rest into a large trash can. This should cut down on the amount of pellets you might have to sift or vacuum with a fines/corn vacuum.

I just dump them in and when I do a deep clean I run the hopper and auger out and clean out any that might be at the bottom of the auger flight. My auger system doesn't really mind all that much, the spring systems in the quads seem to have more issues with fines than solid auger systems.
  19. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I only have cleaned out the fines when I am cleaning the stove. I keep the fines and toss them in the burn pot when I am lighting the stove after a shut down. My stove is fussy about the brand of pellets, but shows no issues with sawdust. No clue how your stove will respond to them!
  20. smoke show

smoke show Guest

x9
  21. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    If fines build up, the auger will eventually jamb. Vacuum out the hopper and feed tube whenever possible:)
  22. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Many stoves just burn the fines up with ease as both my stoves do but some stoves don`t burn well or will they ignite properly due to fines.
    In reading literature from Palizetti stoves they stress the importance of high grade pellets with minimum dust for proper ignition in their stoves and to provide the higher heat necessay for a good secondary burn. That`s probably sound advice for any pellet stove since the crappy pellets I burned this year don`t seem to be worth their lower price.
  23. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    For me it cuts down on the dust as I pour into the hopper. That way I don't have to hear "where is the dust coming from"'?? And less times I have to clean the 'fines box' on my Harman...some brands have more fines than others
  24. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    X10

Cut-Dump-Burn for me
    Xena likes this.
  25. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Just pour them in the hooper and burn away