Do they make a sealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
My single sided pipe(the stove top to the ceiling part) does not have a tight seal with the adjustable pipe that was installed, a piss poor job my the company I might add. This is usually not a problem but I do smell smoke sometimes in the room. I burn of course good seasoned wood but after looking at the back side of the single sided pipe just before the celing it appears that the company bent the pipe when connecting it to the adjustable pipe. I have not researched this yet, just seeing if any of you guys know of anything. I won't go back to the company that installed it because I already know what kind of service they have after the sale (pretty chitty to be blunt...)
Thanks

you mean like high temp silicone? like a goo?
you could also try a wrap of the foil tape. (i love foil tape). it will hold just make sure the pipe is clean when it goes on.

JFK,

What did the installer tell you when you complained about the defect?

Soooo many complaints here about bad istallers/dealers. It is about time to start disclosing the names of them so others know to avoid them.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma,
Jim

You could take the pipe apart and put a bead of furnace cement inside and then insert the slip connector piece of pipe back in. But what I do is buy a stainless steel hose clamp and a piece of stove window channel gasket. I then paint the hose clamp with 1200 degree stove/bbq paint and put it around the pipe joint with the channel gasket under it. Seals like a champ and is a damn site easier to remove for cleaning the pipe. Two bucks for the clamp and a couple of bucks for the piece of gasket at the stove shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.