Do they sell stoves that you can just burn when things are in a rush and kick in the cat etc. if an

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
I think VC has 1 but not interested in a VC. Heard bad reviews lately.

I don't think I follow your question. From a cold start, all stoves will need to begin with a relatively small fire, allow a good fire to catch an build some coals, then load with your full load of splits. Dry wood is key for getting a good fire going with less effort, wet/unseasoned wood will make your life miserable with any stove. Cheers!

Do they sell a stove that you can just burn like the old stoves and then if ya want kick in the cat or secondaries or can you do that with these new stoves anyways.Of course the Castine has no lever for this but i believe the VC's do. The 2 in 1's.

The 2 in 1 stoves use either secondary air or the CAT to burn clean, neither mode is going to burn like an old smoke dragon.

You're saying throw some wood in and leave? Don't wait for things to get up to temp so you can close the bypass, or get a good secondary burn in a non-cat? 'Burn dirty?' I guess you could probably do that with anything. Doesn't make much sense. A waste of wood, and lots of creosote in the chimney.

Would make more sense to plan things so you've got the time to do it right.

I understand that but if you don't have the time and can't do it i wouldn't want to just let the fire burn out or throw wood in and not be around to control the burn or get it up to temp etc. I have to get up at 330 am mornings,getting up earlier sure is hard. I have full intentions of burning clean but what if? Am i worrying too much?

In that case I would be relying on a thermostat.

Cat stoves have a mechanism to bypass the cat for starts/reloads. If you leave the bypass open, you're burning like an old smoke dragon. . .need to be careful of getting too much draft though, since the stoves are designed for full burn with the exhaust flow restricted by the cat. Bypass = free-flow exhaust = increased draft = watch it! Lopi makes some non-cat stoves with a bypass.

There you go, get a thermostat. . .with a Blaze King stove! :) It's not really a thermostat, just an automatic draft control, which makes it easier to keep a good burn going for 12+ hours and should make reloads easier. The BK is as close as it gets to a set-and-forget appliance, which sounds like what you may be looking for. Still need dry wood though.

800 sq ft downstairs 400 upstairs, they're too big i believe.

Only thing is the other half likes that cast iron look. Can't blame her. I can settle for most anything but just checking some options.

Do they sell stoves that you can just burn when things are in a rush and kick in the cat etc. if and whenyou’re not in a hurry for the work day?

Yes, It is called a gas stove.

Hi Bub. Any new wood stove today (with a couple exceptions) is required to pass strict EPA standards regarding emissions. These EPA stoves burn very clean and efficient, but do require a bit of warm up time in the beginning in order to get them up to temperature where they can burn well. This may take a few minutes to a half hour or so depending on factors. If they are cold, they are usually not the type of stove you can just start and leave if you're expecting a clean burn. Even our BK stove requires a bit of warm up babysitting time when starting from cold.

North of 60. I hear electric is fine also,i also have been told that a furnace works nicely.If i'm gonna be treated like a moron i sure appreciate you fellas time.I guess i have this unbelievable draw to certain people and their replies.

+1 on the looks of cast iron. I went that route myself with a Woodstock, which is pretty much it for a cat stove that's not made of steel. It's a very good stove, but it doesn't have the size to get the burn times of the BK. Woodstock does have a larger stove coming out. . .any day now, but the output range and burn time are question marks at the moment. Anyhow, with all the angst about time for reloads, I think you should make burn time one of your main criteria. A longer burn time will give you a better chance at a nice & easy reload where you just let it burn high for 10-15 mins, throttle down, and leave. Longer burns come from larger fireboxes. More heat also comes with larger fireboxes, but a cat stove will let you get fairly low output with a full firebox. . .which leads to even longer burns.

Don't sweat the ribbing, Bub. That's just going to happen when someone asks as many questions as you do about the limitations of wood stoves. Ask Mr. North some specific Q's about the reload routine on his BK, and you'll get some helpful responses. :)

Bub381 said:
North of 60. I hear electric is fine also,i also have been told that a furnace works nicely.If i'm gonna be treated like a moron i sure appreciate you fellas time.I guess i have this unbelievable draw to certain people and their replies.

Hey Bub, I was speaking for your safety. Nothing is fool proof on a wood stove. If you don't have the time to spend in the mornings and don't want to worry when you leave the house, I gave you an honest answer. I was the moron I guess in thinking I was helping you out. :red:
Good luck

Thank you Den you've been helpful. I appreciate it.

No problem, Bub. Everything I know, I learned here. . .almost. . . + I grew up with a smoke dragon. Sorry your feathers got ruffled. These guys really are a friendly bunch, and I assure you that the ribbing is good natured. After you get your stove, you are going to have more questions, and I encourage you to stick around. :)

Den said:
Well, I think Mr. Green means a thermostat on the wall, connected to a furnace. :) The "thermostat" VC uses is an automatic draft control, and if you're after that technology, BK is the ticket.

Well that or perhaps a pellet stove. They make some very nice cast iron units that look great.

BeGreen said:
Den said:
Well, I think Mr. Green means a thermostat on the wall, connected to a furnace. :) The "thermostat" VC uses is an automatic draft control, and if you're after that technology, BK is the ticket.

Well that or perhaps a pellet stove. They make some very nice cast iron units that look great.

+1... Lopi & Avalon make pellet versions of the Leyden & Arbor stoves, so you might want to check those out since you were kinda attracted to the Leyden in one of your other posts.

With wood stoves, it simply isn't advisable to burn with the bypass open. You won't get good burn times, you'll lose alot of heat up the flue, there's a possibility of additional soot/creosote accumulation, & you run a higher risk of a "runaway" draft. I advise if you want a wood burning unit to either find the extra time in the morning to get the fire going properly & close the bypass; or look at a stove with longer burn times, so you can load it up good in the evening or whenever you have time, & set the air intake to low, so you can get long burn times & not have to worry about starting a new fire & not having time to close the exhaust bypass properly.

btw- back to pellet stoves, I believe some pellet stoves do indeed come with a wall-mounted thermostat option.

Bub, it's just another routine you'll grow into.
Get up, get the stove started, start the coffee, check the stove (some here will tell you to never leave the stove until it's running just right), set the controls where they need to be for the day, then off you go.
It's really not that big a deal once the wood is DRY.
If you have a stove (and wood) which will leave you with a bed of coals in the a.m., just do the reload routine. The whole thing is actually pretty easy once you get it figured out. As you're doing that, keep coming back here......everyone, and I do mean everyone, attempts to help as they know how.
You may need to get to bed a tad earlier, or just get up a few minutes earlier. You'll get it. We've all been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.