Do you clean your own chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do my own but along with it I do a thorough cleaning of the innards of the woodstove all the while checking on gaskets. Not something Bert would do if I hired him. I think he's retired now.
We do that with every cleaning as do most other sweeps.

I started cleaning my chimney this year.its a straight shot down the chimney of about 23 foot of liner.spent 65 bucks on rods and brush and payed itself off the first year.had a pro come out the first two years and watched him do it.also watched YouTube videos too.that helped allot.

Same as SportBike.

Straight shot on a gentle grade. Takes longer to set up and put away the ladder. lol
Ours stays clean. Get it before it needs done. Too easy not too.

I've always cleaned my own chimney, used to help my grandfather clean his twice a year from when i was 12 till he passed, 28 years of brushing ;)

I clean my own. Was doing twice a year to gauge build up. Now just once a year before the season kicks off. I have an insert and have a block off plate, 6" SS liner to the top, only a 12ft run roughly and have the liner insulated. Hardly no buildup at all, I guess the gases stay so warm from the liner being insulated it never condenses on the liner.

Meanwhile in Russia....

The roofing looks like some typical cement asbestos roofing which is all to common in Central (former Soviet Block) and Eastern European countries. Just saying more problems in that video than just someone "kindly" sharing a bunch of their soot with their neighbors.

I clean mine each year with a SootEater. Very easy way to clean the chimney from the bottom-up.

I clean both chimneys every fall. It makes sure there's nothing in there that'll catch on fire or stop smoke. I had yellow jackets come down 1 year!

I usually clean mine in October, right before i start to burn as all summer i say, i should get up there while its warm. Anyway, i always start a quick kindling fire the night before to clear out any critters who might have made it there home.

I clean my own with a brush. My pellet stove I clean with a leaf blower like the Russian video. May try it on the main stove.

we have a hatchway from the attic to the roof, and the brush and rods are stored in the attic. Very nice as the roof is over three stories up.
I swept the chimney and repointed it this month, the only exciting part was repointing it on the side away from the house

Status
Not open for further replies.