does a conventional wood boiler with water jacket require boiler protection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4acrefarm

Jan 11, 2009
western ma
I am buying a Jensen indoor boiler and running it with "simpleist pressureized system" design. Do I need to keep return temp up or does it matter with this type of boiler?

Your manufacturer has the final word, but as I understand it almost any boiler would benefit from return temperature protection. With a large storage tank, you could be supplying really cold water for a long time. Besides the potential for corrosion, cold inlet water will almost certainly give you relatively cold outlet temperature as well. With the bottom of storage at some cold temperature (say 100) you'd be much better off getting a small amount of water back to storage at 180 as opposed to a large amount at 120.

Proper inlet protection will give you usable outlet temps very quickly.

Thank Nofossel I will keep my mixing valve in the system.

Can you tell me anything about them, BTU's eficientcy ect? I am picking it up next week, I have not found much about the boiler although the furnace version is more plentifull. It is cheap and it will get me through till I get a gasser.
Thanks.

It's just a regular old boiler.......you can probably get parts and a manual from Preston Trading Post.
Gabe Stein (stoveguy13 here, I think) works there.
As far as BTU's, I think you have to go by the cubic feet of the firebox.
They made two sizes - the 24 and the 30 (inch wood).

Boilers like this are often rated strangely, but I would suppose the smaller one would be about 75,000 BTU total max (into the water and air) and the 30 might be 95,000.

Thanks for the info.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.