Does Anyone have Info on a Non-Catalytic Woodstock Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy

Nov 1, 2013
Moosup, CT
Hello, I'm new here!

My partner and I live in rural Moosup, CT and are replacing our old Federal Airtight wood stove this year. We have an external brick and tile chimney, and our chimney sweep said our current stove is known to contribute to creosote build-up in external chimneys. Plus, we're pretty tired of getting up 2-3 times a night to fill it. So we've been doing a TON of research (probably over 30 hours at this point) on stoves that would be long-burning, efficient, clean, and not heat us out of our home (the part heated with the wood stove is two floors, less than 1200 sq feet). So far it seems a soapstone stove would fit the bill. We were looking at Hearthstone for a non-cat stove and Woodstock for a cat stove. But then an oddity popped up on our local craigslist, an older non-cat Woodstock Fireview.

I can't find ANY info on this stove. When did Woodstock make non-cat stoves? Does anyone have one that could comment on the burn time and emissions? I've searched all over the internet but can't seem to dig up anything. Forgive me if I've missed anything in these forums, they are quite extensive :)

Hopefully someone has heard on one of these before. I'm also open to advice on smaller, long burning stoves to use as the main source of heat for our home (cast iron or soapstone, no steel stoves please).

I'm so excited to be a member here, it has been an incredible source of information. I'll include a picture of our current stove set up.

Thanks!
Mandy

Attachments

• DSCN2518.JPG
    DSCN2518.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
So we've been doing a TON of research (probably over 30 hours at this point) on stoves

hehehe, try 7 years of that. Well, 5-6 years anyway, but what's a year or two amongst friends?
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone on here with an older Fireview BC (before cat).
Have you looked in the "Classic" forum?
Almost forgot, welcome to the Hearth.:cool:
ETA: That's a very nice spot for a new Fireview, as Dennis (our resident Fireview aficionado) will attest.

Your hearth setup looks great, no problems there, drop a new stove in and your in bidness!

I can't help you with the old keystone question, but if you want a long burn time in a Soapstone stove, you'll be buying a Progress Hybrid by woodstock. 12 to 16 hour normal burns times as advertised, and I've had many much longer burn times as well with good conditions (big thick hardwoods, stove turned way down...).

Good luck!

Oh, PS-The PH will be overkill for that small of an area, but it's better to have "overkill" and run the stove easy, than to undersize and have to push it....

Hello, I'm new here!

My partner and I live in rural Moosup, CT and are replacing our old Federal Airtight wood stove this year. We have an external brick and tile chimney, and our chimney sweep said our current stove is known to contribute to creosote build-up in external chimneys. Plus, we're pretty tired of getting up 2-3 times a night to fill it. So we've been doing a TON of research (probably over 30 hours at this point) on stoves that would be long-burning, efficient, clean, and not heat us out of our home (the part heated with the wood stove is two floors, less than 1200 sq feet). So far it seems a soapstone stove would fit the bill. We were looking at Hearthstone for a non-cat stove and Woodstock for a cat stove. But then an oddity popped up on our local craigslist, an older non-cat Woodstock Fireview.

I can't find ANY info on this stove. When did Woodstock make non-cat stoves? Does anyone have one that could comment on the burn time and emissions? I've searched all over the internet but can't seem to dig up anything. Forgive me if I've missed anything in these forums, they are quite extensive :)

Hopefully someone has heard on one of these before. I'm also open to advice on smaller, long burning stoves to use as the main source of heat for our home (cast iron or soapstone, no steel stoves please).

I'm so excited to be a member hear, it has been an incredible source of information. I'll include a picture of our current stove set up.

Thanks!
Mandy

Welcome to the forum Mandy.

Call Woodstock and ask to talk to Ron about the older stove. 800-866-4344

Reactions: jeff_t
Woodstock did make a non cat stove a long time ago and I think you would be better off with a newer model if your looking for overnight burns.

All the Woodstocks have about the same burn times, even the little Keystone will do 12+ hours. The difference will be the BTU output. I think a Fireview, Keystone or Palladian would look great on your hearth and serve you well.

Hey Mandy, have you checked out the Blaze King Ashford? It's cast iron,pretty sharp looking,and has a ridiculously long low burn, (up to 30 hrs).

Status
Not open for further replies.