1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Does anyone sell a dual action wood splitter?

Post in 'The Gear' started by michiganwinters, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michiganwinters

michiganwinters Member

We rented a wood splitter a couple years back from a business that is no longer. It was so quick because the cylinder was on the bottom, you could split one piece and throw another piece on and split it on the return stroke. So if anyone knows of one on the market let me know. :) Thanks!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Don't know about that one...but if you want a "fast splitter" look towards the "super splitter":
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7639/

That link will point you in the right direction. Speaking from experience, I've used just about evry type of splitter you can imagine...If I had to buy one...This is the one I would buy.

I've never used that "exact machine pictured...but a friend of mine has the same model right in my neck of the woods. After using this type of splitter...you'll cry using anything else.

If you want to get the splitting done quick:

Closest analogy...it's the difference of flying cross country on a Cessna turboprop...vs. a Boeing 757.
  3. Gunner

Gunner New Member

Loc:
    Southern Ontario
    Yes there is...but I cannot for the life of me remember the name. Someone was selling one locally last year, but used it was more than I wanted to spend.

Ahhhh thant going to bug me all night now!
  4. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi,

Is the supersplitter the one with the large fly wheels? I saw an exhibit for it at the Woodmen's field days in Boonville, NY. They had taken the protective cover off and exposed the fly wheels. Interesting mechanics. Not a lot of talk about them here. It is all hydraulics normally. Could be because of the price.

They had several ones from low to high and towable. You cannot use them vertically. And if they are high, you really have to lift your rounds up. I don't believe you can get a log lift (unlike the timberwolfs, but then again, those cost about $5,000).

Carpniels
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It was probably a Split-Fire splitter:

http://www.split-fire.com/
  6. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts

nice. talk about fast.
  7. Gunner

Gunner New Member

Loc:
    Southern Ontario
    Right on BB, split-fire was the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I just looked at the pictures from the link that keyman posted and also the one that BrotherBart posted. I am not impressed in the least. I just can't imagine lifting big blocks of wood up that high to split them. Talk about a back-breaking job! No thanks. I sit while splitting and just roll the logs onto the splitter. No lifting, no sweating and still get the job done rather quickly...and I can work alone. No need for a second helper...but will accept if offered!
  9. CK-1

CK-1 Feeling the Heat

I agree..

I remember those big oak rounds I picked up in Northern Va. last Friday during lunch. I couldn't imagine lifting each one of those on that splitter.. 14 rounds total... It was enough work lifting them on the back of my pickup... Nuff'n like the good ole' "Sit and Split"...
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If I had to split horizontally these pups would still be a whole tree standing in the woods.

Attached Files:

11. carpniels

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi all,

YOU guys have a point. I once rented a splitter but the thing was horizontal also and that killed me. Especially lifting the large rounds.

I agree: a horizontal/vertical hydraulic splitter is the way to go.

Carpniels
  12. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

Your friend is an idiot.

And you are a spammer.
  13. carpniels

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    Hi guys,

Billy is still around??? Weird, don't we all know customer service s*cks at Omega???

Let him try. We all know better. Ryobi rules!!!

Carpniels
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.