Does it do any good or harm to paint the inside parts of your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyld Bill

Feb 5, 2011
Maine
I'v'e been painting every part of my woodstove parts as I rebuild it. I noticed that the manufacture didn't paint any thing except the outside of the stove with all the pieces on. Is it a good idea to help prevent rusting or is it all just going to burn off? Is it going to hurt anything?

I personally would do as the manufacturers do. If there was any benefit I would think they would paint it. If they don't paint it there may be a reason, probably the gasses that the paint would emit and I would guess it may very well just bake off.

Shawn

Suit yourself. I'd not waste time or materials, because it'll be gone REAL QUICK.

Wyld Bill said:
I'v'e been painting every part of my woodstove parts as I rebuild it. I noticed that the manufacture didn't paint any thing except the outside of the stove with all the pieces on. Is it a good idea to help prevent rusting or is it all just going to burn off? Is it going to hurt anything?

Paint the outside only especially if a catalytic stove as it could damage the combustor..

Ray

It doesn't do any good or harm.
Might make a used stove a bit easier to sell, but that's about it. :lol:

The way Jimbob burns he ignites the paint on his neighbor's stove. :lol:

I figured if it stays inside it will prevent rusting,...I dunno. :shrug:

No need for paint inside it if the stove is going to be used. The first burn will burn off the paint in the firebox and a coating of other more interesting stuff will appear that keeps it from rusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.