Does it look like the cap screen is missing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sun&Snow

Nov 22, 2022
Colorado
I don't see a screen. Is it possible that it's further down than I can see from the ground? Thanks!

Wood Stove Cap.JPG

Do you think it ever had one? Neither of mine do. It was an option to purchase a cap with a filter or without. I certainly didn't want them clogging up.

Do you think it ever had one? Neither of mine do. It was an option to purchase a cap with a filter or without. I certainly didn't want them clogging up.
I suppose not, unless it's hidden somehow. Maybe the original owners opted not to install one, but I live in a wooded area, so it would be good to have a spark arrestor.

I suppose not, unless it's hidden somehow. Maybe the original owners opted not to install one, but I live in a wooded area, so it would be good to have a spark arrestor.
You think so? It’s a bird screen with big old holes, much bigger than sparks. Do you see sparks shooting out of your chimney?

Every once in a while an odd local government might require a bird screen.

A lot of caps do not have the screen standard. It has to be ordered as an option.

Sun&Snow, more concerning is the adjacent structure. How close is the chimney to that structure to the right? Can you post a picture of the whole roof that includes the chimney location and adjacent structure?

You think so? It’s a bird screen with big old holes, much bigger than sparks. Do you see sparks shooting out of your chimney?

Every once in a while an odd local government might require a bird screen.
Spark-arresting screens are required in certain exceptionally dry areas with lots of ignitable fuel in the region.

Spark-arresting screens are required in certain exceptionally dry areas with lots of ignitable fuel in the region.

Right, but the typical bird screen is not a spark arresting screen. Isn't that a special fine mesh?

Right, but the typical bird screen is not a spark arresting screen. Isn't that a special fine mesh?
The screen mesh varies with the manufacturer, but I just looked at a few main ones and they all call it a spark screen.