Does N/S or E/W Loading Have an Effect on Glass Sooting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
New insert. Seemed to get pretty sooty on a low temp n/s load. Still breaking it in.
Just wondering if there can be a general conclusion on whether one way of loading causes more soot than another.

Well, with N/S loading you win't have a split rolling onto the glass or leaning against the glass, which causes dark spots. I do not currently own a stove that allows for N/S loading.

Outgassing from the ends of the N/S splits can gunk up the glass. I prevent that by using splits that are short enough to be two inches or so from the glass. Also if you have boost air that comes in low from the front it bounces off the splits and defeats the airwash when splits are close to the glass.

That's what I was thinking. The N/S loading s attractive though. I have 2" to spare too. Probably only know for sure next winter with some hot burns.

With dry wood and a reasonably hot fire, the glass should stay pretty clean loading either way. But when it's 60 at night and 75 during the day, ymmv.

I don't burn N/S but I do notice a jet of flames shooting out the end grain, so it is plausible that it might soot up the glass. I have seen soot patterns form on the firebrick.

With dry wood and a reasonably hot fire, the glass should stay pretty clean loading either way. But when it's 60 at night and 75 during the day, ymmv.

x2
It depends on phase of the moon, if solar flares are in your area it won't make a difference:ZZZ

I burn mine east to west.

Outgassing from the ends of the N/S splits can gunk up the glass. I prevent that by using splits that are short enough to be two inches or so from the glass. Also if you have boost air that comes in low from the front it bounces off the splits and defeats the airwash when splits are close to the glass.

+1 - when my N/S splits are a little too long, I get a brown haze on the glass in front of some of the splits. If I leave 2-3 inches of space in front of the splits, no worries. I still can't believe that Hearthstone claims a 19" split can fit the stove N/S - definitely NOT a reasonable length for the stove! Cheers!

I've been burning some overlength, 21", locust spilts mixed in with our regular wood. They are about 1" behind the glass. I find that if I put them in after the others have already started burning well that I only get minor darkening of the glass and only for a short while. Once the new splits are fully burning the glass clears right up. What's interesting is to see the affect of the air wash on the flames. The flames on top of the long split go upward, while the front and bottom flames go downward, pushed by the air wash.

Depends on the stove as well,some stove dont have a strong air wash over the glass as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.