Dollar bill test question on door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok, here we go.

Short version: 2 full gasket replacements later I think we got it.

The tech got here and I explained the whole thing in detail and he was in agreement that the stove was pulling air. All over the place. He knew the stove took a 3/8", he said, I'm gonna try a higher density (gold) gasket even though the stove doesn't call for it in the manual.

Tech was able to knock down a start up fire pretty quickly slamming the air shut. Stove got warm, but not hot.
He said give it til later so the cement can set up better.
Was able to finally start it later that night. A small 3 split load got away from me a little bit, but it was clearly better than it was. It was late, so I just let it go out and deal the next day.
Stove got hot.

Went in it the next morning to inspect. I cleaned up alot of ooze from the amount of cement used and primped up the gasket in spots. Went and bought a new stove top, and an IR gun, went home and fired it up. Been running pretty darn good to this point. I've been holding 450° +/- off and on for about day. The Imperial stove top is reading about 50° cooler than IR.
I'm going to get it a little hotter tomorrow, as I'll be around a little more to play with it.

So I hope we're looking good going forward.

Thank you all for your input and help.

Glad to hear that things are working for you again! These stove "fixes" can be fatiguing/frustrating when you are on try number 2, 3, 4, or 5!

I re-read this entire post and at one time you mentioned an issue with the doors not "lining up" correctly with the knife edge on the stove.
"It does not striking in the middle of the door and gasket, ALOT of places its striking the side of the gasket and not creating that U seal"

Couple of questions that I have:
1. Did the tech say anything about this alignment issue that you observed?
2. Now that it's fixed, do you feel that the issue is fixed by using the "higher density (gold) gasket" or is this different gasket masking the alignment issue?

As a first year Oslo burner, I'm trying to learn as much about the stove as I can. It's been my observation that any wood stove appears deceivingly simple when everything is working - it's just a steel or cast iron box after all! ;) Where you being to learn the complexities is when it's not working so well. :eek:

Glad to hear that things are working for you again! These stove "fixes" can be fatiguing/frustrating when you are on try number 2, 3, 4, or 5!

I re-read this entire post and at one time you mentioned an issue with the doors not "lining up" correctly with the knife edge on the stove.
"It does not striking in the middle of the door and gasket, ALOT of places its striking the side of the gasket and not creating that U seal"

Couple of questions that I have:
1. Did the tech say anything about this alignment issue that you observed?
2. Now that it's fixed, do you feel that the issue is fixed by using the "higher density (gold) gasket" or is this different gasket masking the alignment issue?

As a first year Oslo burner, I'm trying to learn as much about the stove as I can. It's been my observation that any wood stove appears deceivingly simple when everything is working - it's just a steel or cast iron box after all! ;) Where you being to learn the complexities is when it's not working so well. :eek:

I did address the knife edge not striking the door gasket dead center. He said its not likely that you'll ever get the door to strike ths stove like that, and I agree. Its a rudimentary hinge with play in it.

No question the higher density cord was the cure. Tried the same grey/silver 3/8 cord twice and still was sucking air. I cleaned up the doors before the cordage was put in, so there was no mistaking the points of air entry.
Also, just looking at the door now. I can see where the gold cord makes contact with the stove; and its all over the place.

The stove is running amazing now. Havn't gone over 500° or had to clean the glass since my last post a few days ago, and heat output and burn times are also clearly better. But even as good as its been running, I'm still a little gun shy to let it rip or really pack it before bed; one too many nail biters.The most I've had in at any one time is 4 medium splits.

Also glad I got the IR gun, and new thermometer, my old one was WAY off.

I did address the knife edge not striking the door gasket dead center. He said its not likely that you'll ever get the door to strike ths stove like that, and I agree. Its a rudimentary hinge with play in it.

No question the higher density cord was the cure. Tried the same grey/silver 3/8 cord twice and still was sucking air. I cleaned up the doors before the cordage was put in, so there was no mistaking the points of air entry.
Also, just looking at the door now. I can see where the gold cord makes contact with the stove; and its all over the place.

The stove is running amazing now. Havn't gone over 500° or had to clean the glass since my last post a few days ago, and heat output and burn times are also clearly better. But even as good as its been running, I'm still a little gun shy to let it rip or really pack it before bed; one too many nail biters.The most I've had in at any one time is 4 medium splits.

Also glad I got the IR gun, and new thermometer, my old one was WAY off.

So glad that your issue is solved! I can "hear" the relief in your post!

Thanks for letting me know about how the gasket is hitting the knife edge and what the tech had to say. This morning I took a good look at the gasket on my side-load door and based on the groove in the gasket - on the hinge side and the top, it's hitting the knife edge I would say dead-center, on the latch side and the bottom it's a bit towards the edge of the door, but solidly on the gasket. As you said, it's not a precise hinge and you are matching up two castings - not machined surfaces. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping me to learn more about my new Oslo. I feel better knowing about the "gold" gasket that Jotul has available.

And your use of caution in loading the stove until you can fully "believe" the fix is just good common sense!