Done Hoarding the Sugar Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Before I headed back in the woods I dipped into the stacked sugar maple (16-17 inches long) and cut down to length (14.75) for the Lopi Liberty. We pushed in three loads. (two pictured)

I did edit this from my original post and the first response, NH_ sorry about that.

zap

Attachments

• Done Hoarding the Sugar Maple
    100_2462.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 503
    100_2463.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 514
    100_2482.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 512
Dead Zap? Cheers!

Love it. Makes me warmmmmm! Looks like you are back to snow. Same here. Cut some white oak today...I will post pics later.

NH_Wood said:
Dead Zap? Cheers!

The sugar maple was cut and split three years ago and stacked the last two, I'm not dead yet.

zap

loon said:
zapny said:
NH_Wood said:
Dead Zap? Cheers!

I'm not dead yet.

zap

hope not!! ;-P

loon

Ha! Sorry missed that you were grabbing from a stack, thought you were hauling it home from the woods - sure thought the splits looked ready to go, so figured it must have been a long dead tree! Cheers!

That's the spirit Zap. If you've got it, burn it. Doesn't get much colder than this.

SolarAndWood said:
That's the spirit Zap. If you've got it, burn it. Doesn't get much colder than this.

We'll do the same on Sunday, push in another two to three loads of sugar maple which will gives two racks of sugar maple and one of cherry.

Just getting ready for the colder weather coming in at the end of next week.

Solar are you getting any snow?

zap

gotta make me a jig like u have there for cutting the wood down. still have another year of wood that wont fit in the stove at all.

zapny said:
Solar are you getting any snow?

Its been snowing just about every day. We are over 8' now. It put an end to my chunk and ugly burning as I am too lazy to dig it out of the snow.

No offense but why are you cutting the same wood twice. Why not put a whip on your saw and cut the Maple to the desired 14 3/4" in the first place. Maybe I am missing something.

mainstation said:
No offense but why are you cutting the same wood twice. Why not put a whip on your saw and cut the Maple to the desired 14 3/4" in the first place. Maybe I am missing something.
Happens to a lot of people, new stove and wood on hand is too long.

oldspark said:
mainstation said:
Happens to a lot of people, new stove and wood on hand is too long.

I kinda thought that might be the answer.

Hey Zap would you happen to have any more pics of your wood cutting jig? I'm going to run into the same problem after the move and a stove change and will need to do some trimming. Thanks.

mainstation said:

I cut this sugar maple before we even thought about getting a wood stove, so that is why I'm cutting it down for burning north/south.

Most of the sugar maple I cut before we had or thought about a wood stove was 17-18 inches long and planned on selling it, most people up this way have some older stoves that would take that length. Our stove will take 24 inch wood but you have to load it east-west.

zap

Nice Zap. For sure this next couple of weeks should get us over the hump, so burn the good stuff now.

jeeper said:
Hey Zap would you happen to have any more pics of your wood cutting jig? I'm going to run into the same problem after the move and a stove change and will need to do some trimming. Thanks.

Jeeper, I'm not sure on the width other than my 20 inch bar is longer also make sure you have a good way to secure your wood. I always keep the nose of the bar higher when cutting with this jig.

Under the plywood in the front if you put another 2x4 it will beef it up plus you can run 2x4's on the bottom of the legs from back to the front and extend them out so it's more stable and won't tip on you. Another member did that.

zap

Attachments

100_0358.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 280
    100_0359.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 274
tfdchief said:
Love it. Makes me warmmmmm! Looks like you are back to snow. Same here. Cut some white oak today...I will post pics later.

tfdchief,Some cold weather coming in which should take care of the sugar maple inside. Info from NOAA.

Friday Night: Cloudy, with a low around -12.

Saturday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 8.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -21.

Sunday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 8.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -17.

Monday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

zap

Jig is sweet! I may have to build one for my 10 inch cut downs.

zapny said:

zap

Looks like that is going to be on a healthy dose of ice. 15 degrees here and its been raining for a few hours.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

zap

Looks like that is going to be on a healthy dose of ice. 15 degrees here and its been raining for a few hours.

Solar it looks like the worst of this storm will stay south of us from what they are reporting so far.

zap

oldspark said:
It's that time of the year, if ya got it bring it!

oldspark, when the cold weather hits what wood do you like the best.

zap

Awesome - thanks for the pics and the tips Zap! Exactly what I was looking for :)

jeeper said:
Awesome - thanks for the pics and the tips Zap! Exactly what I was looking for :)

jeeper, make sure the splits are secure and good and tight.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.