Don't Burn These Pellets!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycomelately

Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
CT
You know- the ones that don't burn well in YOUR stove.
I have come to recognize that every for brand of pellets out there, there will be at least someone who doesnt like the way that they burn. Granted, some brands are known as "Kings of the Mountain" and some are generally recognized as poor quality and most are middle of the road. And I see many posts where people ask what pellets that they should burn. And while this can be a reasonable guide as to what may be good for someone else, there is really no way of knowing what will work in YOUR stove until you try them.
Picking out a good pellet should be easier than what it is, but at the same time, I enjoy the challenge of the hunting process. In short, its good to hear what others experiences are with certain brands, but for whatever reason, it will not be conclusive as to what will work in YOUR stove. Just a word of advice to all pellet hunters out there stocking up for next year. And advice to those who will become new pellet burners this year in the wake of wicked expensive oil. Most importantly, keep em dry and make sure that where ever you buy them, they are stored indoors. This is so often overlooked in the hunt for a bargain.
Good Luck and Happy Hiunting!!!

Unfortunately for some, The Kings of the Mountains are looking kind of grim with a fiber shortage looming. I have heard that Barefooot, Hamer, and Turman are struggling for fiber. Spring buy deals from Barefoot is not going to happen this season. Nor Hamer and I was surprised to see Turman offer something. These brands may be hard to find come fall. I think the BC softwoods will be safe as there supply is rather steady with the lumber mills shipping the milled wood to Europe. So they have a good supply of dust.

I have been looking hard at the new breed of pellet mills with there chipped logs process. No fiber shortage will happen for these mills. So I suggest you check out the local pellet dealers and see if they have chipped pellet brands and try some if you dare.

I found the Vermont Wood Pellets to be a good softwood. And the Great American to be a nice burning Hardwood. Others to watch are the Geneva mill with there Geneva Super Premium and Maine Choice(still waiting for samples on these 2). Michigan and North Country have chipped logs but there quality was not to my liking. I know I am missing some of the mills that do chip's to pellets. Old age again!

We all maybe forced to lower our standards a bit here shortly, Whether we like it or not(unless your pockets are real deep!). Just a heads up and My 2 cents on it. Be prepaired for a few speed bumps and lets hope no pellet crashes like in early 2k. Carry on.

Once again thank you Jay for insight and insider info. I feel very fortunate to be in Great Americans back yard and I'm going to take advantage of the low price now because I know I won't see this again . I'll consider this as a spring buy deal on a quality pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.