Door gasket question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
Getting ready to replace the door gasket on my BK Princess and I am wondering what you all use for adhering the gasket? I used Meecos Red Devil Gasketing Cement and Stove sealer the last time and it took forever to remove! I really dont want to go there again! I have heard of guys using black RTV High temp?

Yes, black or red rtv will work fine. Don't use blue permatex rtv though. It sets up cement hard.

when i got my replacement gasket from the BK shop in Vancouver, they sent me a tube of orange-ish looking RTV to use. Out of curiosity, how are you going to remove the old stuff? just scrape it off manually, or will you use some sort of attachment on a drill?

I have done this manual, using a screwdriver blade as a scraper for the tough areas.

Be generous with the bead thickness on the bk. An unfortunate design decision was made and the giant nuts and studs that hold the glass are actually under the door gasket so the gasket isn’t sealing between two flat surfaces. The more you can fill the valleys between these studs the better. Also be sure to “set” the gasket mostly with the door frame so it’s even and you don’t spooge out the rtv between the studs.

I used the copper high temp rtv. one tube was not enough. Black would be fine too. Works nicely.

I have always used the regular black Rutland gasket cement that I get from our dealer when I buy gaskets. No problems with it in the past.

I used red RTV on the T6. It has worked well.

when i got my replacement gasket from the BK shop in Vancouver, they sent me a tube of orange-ish looking RTV to use. Out of curiosity, how are you going to remove the old stuff? just scrape it off manually, or will you use some sort of attachment on a drill?
I used a drill and wire brush, 2 different sizes of screw drivers,hammer and I modified a chisel...it was a real pain in the backside getting this stuff out...I got it after a lot of elbow grease...was it a Permatex brand of RTV they gave you? The Permatex High Temp Copper comes in a orange tube...believe thats what I am going with.

Be generous with the bead thickness on the bk. An unfortunate design decision was made and the giant nuts and studs that hold the glass are actually under the door gasket so the gasket isn’t sealing between two flat surfaces. The more you can fill the valleys between these studs the better. Also be sure to “set” the gasket mostly with the door frame so it’s even and you don’t spooge out the rtv between the studs.

I used the copper high temp rtv. one tube was not enough. Black would be fine too. Works nicely.
I am going to use the copper high temp as well....I was doubting if one tube was going to be enough...thanks for confirming this..are you bringing the RTV up to the top of the nut? I didnt use anywhere near enough last time...by setting are you hanging the door and lightly closing the door and allowing it to cure in this position?

I am going to use the copper high temp as well....I was doubting if one tube was going to be enough...thanks for confirming this..are you bringing the RTV up to the top of the nut? I didnt use anywhere near enough last time...by setting are you hanging the door and lightly closing the door and allowing it to cure in this position?

yes, loosen the adjustment on the latch and use thedoor frame to bed the gasket evenly to match the space you’re trying to seal. Latch the door and leave it for as long as you think you should before heating. Some folks worry about excess wet rtv spooging out and glueing the door shut but the bk gasket is very thick. If you’re worried you can close a sheet of newspaper in between.

yes, loosen the adjustment on the latch and use thedoor frame to bed the gasket evenly to match the space you’re trying to seal. Latch the door and leave it for as long as you think you should before heating. Some folks worry about excess wet rtv spooging out and glueing the door shut but the bk gasket is very thick. If you’re worried you can close a sheet of newspaper in between.
Thank you sir...

I used a drill and wire brush, 2 different sizes of screw drivers,hammer and I modified a chisel...it was a real pain in the backside getting this stuff out...I got it after a lot of elbow grease...was it a Permatex brand of RTV they gave you? The Permatex High Temp Copper comes in a orange tube...believe thats what I am going with.
I can’t recall the name, but it was orange in colour. It took me way too long last time to remove the old stuff. Probably 2 hours with the screw driver to try and clean it all up. The way i applied the last batch, i’m sure it’s going to be even more difficult! Can you post a pic of the attachment you put in your drill?

I can’t recall the name, but it was orange in colour. It took me way too long last time to remove the old stuff. Probably 2 hours with the screw driver to try and clean it all up. The way i applied the last batch, i’m sure it’s going to be even more difficult! Can you post a pic of the attachment you put in your drill?
This wire wheel helped to clean things up but it was no match for the bulk of the old cement...I had to first scrape most of it out in order for the wheel to be effective in cleaning things up...

Attachments

• JTVXJ%2YQLyT0IMv0C7CNg.jpg
    JTVXJ%2YQLyT0IMv0C7CNg.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: MissMac
I concur the old school gasket cement is hard to get off. Wire wheel on the drill, hammer and screwdriver The copper high temp RTV can be found in an auto parts store. I assume now the stove stores have RTV.

I concur the old school gasket cement is hard to get off. Wire wheel on the drill, hammer and screwdriver The copper high temp RTV can be found in an auto parts store. I assume now the stove stores have RTV.
Yes, most have RTV now. Rutland even has black RTV gasket adhesive. The copper high temp is overkill. I mostly see black RTV being used by OEMs now.

Yes, most have RTV now. Rutland even has black RTV gasket adhesive. The copper high temp is overkill. I mostly see black RTV being used by OEMs now.
I went with the copper as it was the same price as the black...wether it be copper or black I cant help but think that when it comes time again to replace the gasket it should easier...

I went with the copper as it was the same price as the black...wether it be copper or black I cant help but think that when it comes time again to replace the gasket it should easier...

It's not like you should be seeing any of the RTV after the gasket is installed on a BK. For the same price I would prefer the higher temperature rated stuff. Some applications might leave more of the RTV visible so color matters.

I wrote a whole long post with photos of applying the copper RTV and setting the big BK gasket. It's such an important seal and kind of an intimidating job.

Reactions: MissMac
It's not like you should be seeing any of the RTV after the gasket is installed on a BK. For the same price I would prefer the higher temperature rated stuff. Some applications might leave more of the RTV visible so color matters.

I wrote a whole long post with photos of applying the copper RTV and setting the big BK gasket. It's such an important seal and kind of an intimidating job.
Higher temperature rating...winner...I think I did a pretty good job this time...I had a small amount squeeze out in one corner...I checked this morning and had a nice tight seal all the way around...I cant help but think this RTV stuff is going to prolong the life of your gasket as it is going to give or flex some vs the hard cement...time will tell.

I think the RTV makes a better bond having some flex to it. I also like that it doesn't harden the backside of the gasket the way that older gasket cement did.

Reactions: Tar12 and Highbeam