Door Gasket Silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

Just got back from my Local Dealer. Bought some Door gasket to replace mine this weekend. The Silicone they gave me is the Rutland super Red, 600 degree RTV.
Is this the right stuff??

Just got back from my Local Dealer. Bought some Door gasket to replace mine this weekend. The Silicone they gave me is the Rutland super Red, 600 degree RTV.
Is this the right stuff??
Yes.

i generally use "gasket cement"...not silicone

i generally use "gasket cement"...not silicone
Why? I used to do that on my coal stove, then one day tried red , so called high heat, silicone and it worked fine. And its easier to scrape later on down the road..

mostly because its right there in the name..."gasket cement"...I'm sure silicone will work...its sticky, and heat resistant and all. I wouldn't expect to have to replace the door gasket all the much on an Accentra Insert, so the easy of scrapiing donesn't really factor in in my opinion. YMMV

mostly because its right there in the name..."gasket cement"...I'm sure silicone will work...its sticky, and heat resistant and all. I wouldn't expect to have to replace the door gasket all the much on an Accentra Insert, so the easy of scrapiing donesn't really factor in in my opinion. YMMV
I see. I was surprised to find black rtv holding my door gasket on my new P61 (ash door).

threre's no trough to put the cement into on the ash pan door on the P series...I think the gasket cement, with its "maple syrup" like consistency would just make a huge mess. RTV deff the way to go in those instances.

It doesnt get as hot there as you think, all silicone will work, cement is so...Retro.....

Status
Not open for further replies.