Door glass gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
I tightened my glass gasket a few days ago and today the glass cracked. I was reading here, just recently, about using high temp silicone to hold the new gasket in place. I did some searches but came up short. Does it work better than gasket cement or the self stick stuff?

My stove came from the factory with the orange hi temp silicone on the door gasket
and that's what I used a couple months ago when I replaced the rope.
No experience with the cement but the hi temp silicone seems to work excellent.
door_gasket.jpg

Yep. Im with Xena..

I used the higher rated 750° stuff (still pliable) but the 500° stuff has been used. Much easier clean up than cement down the road. Plus its tackier and holds the gasket sooner and better than the cement. IMO.

Silicone it is then, now to try and find some 1/4" rope gasket.

I did our's a few weeks ago, Silicone is the way to go. Cement is just that, and turns hard like cement. Work slow and torque everything evenly, don't over tighten as you found out.

Northwoodneil said:
I tightened my glass gasket a few days ago and today the glass cracked. I was reading here, just recently, about using high temp silicone to hold the new gasket in place. I did some searches but came up short. Does it work better than gasket cement or the self stick stuff?

Hello Northwoodneil

Maybe you missed this post, Xena and I both used High Temp RTV just like the Pellet Stoves Factory uses!!

I myself prefer the clear RTV high temp because it does not show! Also I like the good premium Graphite Impregnated Rope gasket from the Stove shops!

See pics and detail here.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83473/

I am afraid that the 18 year old (est.) screws will bust when I try and loosen them. I will buy the gasket rope and wait till summer and then change them so I have time to redrill and tap if it goes bad. hmmm Boss just said then I will replace all of the gaskets and replace the exhaust fan cage at same time, as she handed me a can of factory touchup paint

Status
Not open for further replies.