Door hinge and handle pivot lubrication......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmudda

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2009
Western Pennsylvania
I lubed both my door hinges and latch handle today, used Antisieze lubricant that's good to 2000 deg F. I usually do this twice a year or so.

Does anyone else do this and what lubricant do you use?

Craig

Reactions: Soundchasm
Yep, same thing (for the first time this year on this stove, but have done it on others in the past)

Some argue that the wet style grease can attract dirt / dust and prefer dry lubes though.

In all, I'm still surprised at the hinge slop that I have in my door that I noticed this year. However, i honestly never checked in the past so it may have been there from day one.

Door still sits level when closed and seals well so no concerns.

My cast hearthstone door got egged out over 8 years and the slop was terrible. Hearthstone warantied the door. Still can't figure out why they wouldnt have sacrificial replaceable bushings. Cast vs steel... cast will lose every time.

Do you have a link to what you used? My door started shuddering until I tapped the hinges back down all the way. I'd like to get some sort of lube in there.

Almost wonder if it would be worth attempting to drill the holes out and put some bushings in...

My door was getting a bit squeaky, there was some corrosion in the hinges, I polished the pin and the hole and
used powdered graphite to lube it, works fine now.

Almost wonder if it would be worth attempting to drill the holes out and put some bushings in...

That would probably work but you should really use a drill, then a reamer to get a accurate size hole for the bushing.
(Bushings typically need a .001 press fit.)

Reactions: ClintonH
I have to lub my catch on my Quadrafire 4100 Insert, the hinges have never seen any lub. The hing will get so stiff (or something) that it is almost impossible to rotate the handle to draw the door up tight Any oil has worked, I think I have even shot in a blast of WD40. Whatever I have used it has been "corrective" not "preventative" maintenance..and it has worked. I have not done yet this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.