double or triple wall chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJW88

Oct 9, 2010
northern, WI
I'm going to have 6-7 feet of chimney sticking out of the roof and am wondering if I should use double or triple wall chimney. I know that most here use double wall but I'm wondering if the triple wall will help keep hotter chimney temps. on those super cold days that we will inevitably see up here? I will be using double wall pipe if it matters.

Thanks

Here in Colorado, I am south of you but at 8500 Ft., I am probably as cold. I use double-walled, insulated chimney. I have never had a creosote or ash build-up problem in my pipe. [many years] So, this pipe has been great for me. I have no experience in triple-wall chimney, though I shudder at what I expect the price would be.

My chimney is Selkirk brand, and there are others. I have three stoves and three chimney pipes, all the same insulated stuff. There may be a reason for triple wall in some applications, though I don't know what they would be.

Two of my chimneys are over ten feet up from the roof level due to nearby roof obstructions, no problem from the double wall pipe as to keeping the flue gasses hot. Well, I haven't measured the temp's but with no build-up I must be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.