Double wall stove pipe seam leaking or draft issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I have Simpson double wall stove pipe from the stove to the liner. I'm wondering if one of the inside seams in the double wall could be leaking a bit. I get a slight smoky odor on the stove top around the cat probe in front of the convection deck.(straight out from the pipe) I only get this when the blower is running. It seems like the blower is pulling the odor out of the bottom of the double wall stove pipe adapter. With the convection deck I could see it creating a bit of a vacuum across the bottom of the stove adapter.

I could also see the issue being caused by a draft issue since it seems to only be a problem on low burn. The only reason I'm not leaning that way is due to the stove consuming all the wood on low burn, the cat staying active during the duration of the burn and the draft is good. Not much I can do to improve upon 27' of insulated liner. I could swap out the 90* elbow for 2 45's if it comes to it.

The smell is slight and not enough to get into the rest of the house, I only notice it when I'm on top of the stove.

The double wall is on it's third season(minus the stove adapter that is new this season) and I have to pull it all a part every time I sweep the chimney since the chimney doesn't have a clean out.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Is the stove pipe to flue collar connection sealed? If not, perhaps the venturi effect is creating negative pressure at the flue collar and drawing out a little smoke? If that is the case I would try seating the pipe in some furnace cement. Not easy with double-wall and it might take some clean up work from the inside of the stove.

BeGreen said:
Is the stove pipe to flue collar connection sealed with furnace cement?

No furnace cement on any of the connections. I never had any cement on it when it was on my Lopi but that was a different set up without air being blown around/under the pipe. Do you think I should cement the DVL adapter to the stove or the first piece of DVL to the DVL adapter?

I'd try just the adapter. It should be easy to assert that you have a good seal there. But it wouldn't hurt to put a thin bead on the next joint if you just want to be done with it.

I should have done this over the weekend when we had some warm weather. I think Wednesday is supposed to be pretty warm so maybe I'll let the furnace carry the load that day.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.