Double Wall Stovepipe Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O Never Done

Mar 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Good Evening.

Very very close to my first wood stove. Although, will not be able to burn it until fall.

I cannot find a easy written reference where double wall stove pipe can be 6" from NFPA Protected Surface. What I usually see is double wall pipe can be 9" from combustible.

Can anyone clear up this question with a link or reference material?

I want to make sure I can use double wall stovepipe 6" from NFPA protected surface on wall.

Thanks for the assistance.

Good Evening.

Very very close to my first wood stove. Although, will not be able to burn it until fall.

I cannot find a easy written reference where double wall stove pipe can be 6" from NFPA Protected Surface. What I usually see is double wall pipe can be 9" from combustible.

Can anyone clear up this question with a link or reference material?

I want to make sure I can use double wall stovepipe 6" from NFPA protected surface on wall.

Thanks for the assistance.
Double wall pipe can be 6" from an unprotected wall. And the distance to the ceiling varies some by manufacturer some are as low as 6 others are up to 9

Please keep in mind that the stove also has clearances, in this hypothetical case imagine that you have a stove were the stove's flue collar is 2" from the rear of the unit, the distance to the combustible wall will be the greater of the two. example - rear of stove can be installed no closer then 10" from combustible wall without a heat shield, so the stove needs to be 10" away from the rear wall and the double wall could land 12" from the wall. Now the same example but the stove has a heat shield and can be installed 3" away from a combustible wall, but since the double wall needs a minimum of 6" from the combustible wall, the rear of the stove would need to be placed no closer than 4".