Double wall vs. Triple wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryT

Oct 27, 2010
SW Missouri
Considering a woodstove purchase and was wondering what most folks use for the stovepipe? I'm sure local codes will dictate what the minimum is but with that being said, if say code says it must be double wall, is there an advantage to using triple wall or is it an added expense thats not needed? Also, seems some of the stoves I've been looking at can use either 6 or 8 inch pipe, which is better? I'll be running aprox. 15 feet of pipe total and it will probably be a straight shot out the top. One more, does the double or triple black pipe maintain its looks inside the house or does it fade/rust ect. and would it be better to just go with stainless the whole length? Thanks for any help.

jaytee said:
Considering a woodstove purchase and was wondering what most folks use for the stovepipe? Most here use double wall pipe or single wall pipe. I'm sure local codes will dictate what the minimum is but with that being said, if say code says it must be double wall, is there an advantage to using triple wall or is it an added expense thats not needed? I suspect local codes will probably just follow the manufacturer's recommendations for install . . . but to answer your question . . . double wall pipe if required should be fine. Also, seems some of the stoves I've been looking at can use either 6 or 8 inch pipe, which is better? Easy answer -- if the stove you pick has an 8 inch stove collar it should have the 8 inch stove pipe and if it has the 6 inch stove collar you would do better by going with the 6 inch pipe. Honestly, most stoves built today use the 6 inch collar. I'll be running aprox. 15 feet of pipe total and it will probably be a straight shot out the top. One more, does the double or triple black pipe maintain its looks inside the house or does it fade/rust ect. and would it be better to just go with stainless the whole length? I have double wall in my house and it still looks good . . . I would say some of it could take a bit of touch up paint here or there, but it doesn't rust and looks fine for my needs and wants. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.