Double Walled Stove Pipe Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I was out looking at double wall stovepipe today and have a few questions for you experts. How do you cut this stuff? I would have to shave off about an inch or two off a 24" piece for my new stove if I go with double wall. Tinsnips? Hacksaw? Does it really create better draft by keeping the exhaust hotter? I would think as close to the stove as it is, the exhaust would be hot no matter what kind of pipe you use?

Todd said:
I was out looking at double wall stovepipe today and have a few questions for you experts. How do you cut this stuff? I would have to shave off about an inch or two off a 24" piece for my new stove if I go with double wall. Tinsnips? Hacksaw? Does it really create better draft by keeping the exhaust hotter? I would think as close to the stove as it is, the exhaust would be hot no matter what kind of pipe you use?

I don't think it is made to cut. In my day you had to use slip fittings, etc.

If you have the proper clearances, then single wall pipe is fine. If you really want the good stuff, get welded single wall (Heat-Fab) - you will need a hacksaw or power snips to cut that.

I agree with Craig. Make all your connections with the double wall pipe and fill in the difference with 22 gage welded seam from the stove collar length to double wall. You are right the is the hotest section of pipe and least to develope cresote. You have minumized silgle wall heat losse to the best possible configuration

All double-wall connector manufacturers offer "slip" sections which trombone together to achieve the length you need. Duratech offers four versions: a two-piece that adjusts from 40" to 68", another two-piece that goes from 24" to 48", and 6" and 12" lengths that fit onto any existing length and slide up and down to make the exact length needed.

I would shorten a finger before I cut a piece of double wall pipe

Run as much single wall pipe INSIDE the house as you can, of course maintain clearences.
Single wall pipe = free heat

I too had a question regarding double walled pipe. I'm getting ready to instal my new Hearthstone Shelburne in my very small house (approx. 990 sq ft) and the living / family room that it's going in is pretty small. I bought a rear heat shield for the stove. My hearth is a prefab, albeit, very nice looking. My walls are drywall, no ceramic or protection. If I go single wall, I'm gonna have to move the stove and hearth further out and take up even more space. I was planning on going with double walled so I could get it closer to the corner and not over heat my house. Were going straight up and out the ceiling with it.

Does going with the double walled sound like the best option?

Yes, that it what I would do sheepdog.

Your question has been well answered. I just want to add that I went with double wall simply because I am not comfortable with one piece of 24 gauge metal between me and a fire in my house. Probably my profession :smirk:

DOuble wall is the way to go. If you need to shorten some lengths, they make telecopic double wall..depends on what section needs to be shortened and to what degree.

I agree, BeGreen is a wealth of info!

A

Like TFDChief I too had plenty of space, but went with doublewall both for the extra bit of closeness to the wall (although I exceeded the minimum clearances to be on the safe side) and I also liked the idea of better protection . . . I guess when folks like Steve and I see enough fires we figure any extra bit of protection you can add for not a whole lot more money just makes sense.

Telescopic double wall pipe. That's what I ended up having to use. It ain't cheap, but in the greater scheme of things, it sure beats having to replace the butchered up piece of double wall you'll have if you try to cut it!

Todd,

I used telescoping pipe out the rear of my Keystone. It is 6 inch ID and worked out great as the flue exit on the Keystone is 7 inch so the OD of the pipe matched the OD of the exhaust connection. I attached it to the stove via a 7 to 6 inch reducer and brought the double wall pipe flush with the shoulder on the reducer. It looks great!

Good luck,
Bill

I think my "elbow" piece is also a telescopic, since the angle around the bend was rather odd. Couldn't even tell that's what I have up there now, unless you were looking for it.

Holy old thread. Elk is now hanging out with pook somewhere.... else. Todd was likely setting up his first fireview.

Hey Highbeam, I thought it better to resurrect an old thread than to just start a new one. At least I have proven that I know how to use the search function....LOLOL!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and advice. Does Lowes have the telescoping double wall? I was told by an experienced installer that Lowes would be my best bed for piping.

This is my Shelburne, straight up and out, 800 sf cabin, single-wall flue up to double-wall chimney. I understand your desire for closer clearances, but as far as heat goes, it's easier to open windows and cool off the house than to make it warmer.

Attachments

• DSCF3577 (750x1000).jpg
    DSCF3577 (750x1000).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 447
Very nice set up. How close are you to the walls? Mine is right next to drywall. A large amount of the heat is coming from the stove anyway. I'm just not much of a gambler.

I have the rear heat shield, so the corners of the stove are exactly the minimum distance to the solid-wood walls (I don't have my manual with me, but it specifies how close you can get with single-wall pipe and a heat shield). I've measured the temperatures on the surface of the walls with my infrared thermometer and they haven't ever gotten hot. Just make sure you use the right distances for your setup and you'll be fine.

P.S. The photo was taken the day the stove was installed, before I got furniture. Looks a lot more homey now...

Highbeam said:
Holy old thread. Elk is now hanging out with pook somewhere.... else. Todd was likely setting up his first fireview.

Lol, yep, very old thread back when I was changing out my Homestead for my Fireview and thinking of using double wall pipe. I stuck with single wall. I miss Elk.

Status
Not open for further replies.