Drafty, poorly insulated space with high ceiling. What type of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elmbrooker

Aug 18, 2020
New Hampshire
I'm spending a fortune heating a large portion of my house to a semi-comfortable temperature during the winter. I have a kerosene furnace and a Jøtul F400. When the power is out, the Jotul is not enough. This space is a portion of a barn converted to living space. The insulation is minimal and inaccessible and the drafts are many. I'd like to get a larger stove that will run with a 6" chimney. The square footage of the floor may be close to 1200 but it is 2 1/2 stories tall and not at all air tight.

The HearthStone Manchester is my current frontrunner since the cast iron will heat up quicker and hotter than a soapstone stove while still holding heat due to the soapstone within the stone. There are plenty of bad reviews and someone I know with a soapstone stove had a problem with cracked stone upon delivery or early into use.

Is this stove going to heat up enough or should I be looking at a traditional cast iron stove, which will get even hotter, but not hold the heat as long? Is a steel stove a better option since it can get even hotter faster (cooling faster as well). I shy away from steel because I am easily chased out of a room by a stove that is too hot. Ideally I'd like to be able to heat the space to about 65ºF when the temp outside is -5ºF - 30ºF. We'd also like to reliably have a good bed of coals in the morning and a hot-warm stove. I appreciate anyone's thoughts!

What you are saying is somewhat contradictory. Steel stoves don't get hotter than cast iron. The difference is that some stoves are more radiant than others. Generally cast iron stoves are more radiant. The Manchester could work if you can find one. In steel, an unshielded stoves will provide maximum radiant heat. The Drolet Austral II has a big belly and is unshielded. If you want less radiant heat, but a stove with a big belly then consider the Drolet HT3000 or the Jotul F55. The Jotul F55 has a cast iron jacket that softens the radiant heat. Another stove to consider would be the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6. This is a great stove if you like to cook on it. It also has a cast iron jacket.

What you are saying is somewhat contradictory. Steel stoves don't get hotter than cast iron. The difference is that some stoves are more radiant than others. Generally cast iron stoves are more radiant. The Manchester could work if you can find one. In steel, an unshielded stoves will provide maximum radiant heat. The Drolet Austral II has a big belly and is unshielded. If you want less radiant heat, but a stove with a big belly then consider the Drolet HT3000 or the Jotul F55. The Jotul F55 has a cast iron jacket that softens the radiant heat. Another stove to consider would be the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6. This is a great stove if you like to cook on it. It also has a cast iron jacket.

Thank you, I was basing that statement on some charts that show the maximum temperature of different stove construction types. I will look into those stoves.

Thank you, I was basing that statement on some charts that show the maximum temperature of different stove construction types. I will look into those stoves.
The maximum temp is pretty much the same for most steel and cast iron stoves. Stoves shouldn't be run above about 750º for an extended period of time. The maximum BTU output is mostly marketing and does not reflect steady-state heating. Use the EPA output numbers for a more realistic comparison.

Reactions: elmbrooker