Drill hole in a ceramic log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve19601960

Feb 9, 2020
Richmond va
Have a gas firplace . Propane with ceramic logs.
On my old set I could see when the pilot light was on.
Not with a new set I got last year. Could I drill a hole or cut a log without a problem?

Thanks for any suggestions

Is a Empire Flint Hill set. Cant see pilot light and is designed that way. Just more comfortable if I can see the pilot light when I am in the room or walk buy.
Did read on some logs the material inside cant put out and odor or soot .

Also any suggestions on the best quality if I decide to replace these. Only 1 year old and already have to replace pilot light and valve.

Why did you have to replace the valve?
Not sure exactly what mean by replacing the pilot light.
This is a "ventless" or in reality, house vented log set, correct?

Yes is a ventless.
Had less than a year. First problem was would only go on High flame. Could not adjust. Thought I could live with that. But then went to turn on and could hear the gas rushing out without a flame. Looked and the pilot light was out. Not suppose to that.
Called the company and they would only sent me parts. The pilot assembly . And the valve that controls flame height.
At this point actually waiting for a plumber since I have to have the parts installed. And myself dont like to mess with gas.

Only a year or less old. But still wonder if I should just replace the whole 18" log set with a better brand. Like a RH Petterson. Just hate to spend about 800.00 . When the other one only had about 6 hours use.
Thanks for any suggestions

Did you try to clean the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) on the pilot nozzle?
On the back side of the tube, there is a small hole, maybe 3/32" diameter.
That hole can get blocked with dust or pet dander. It happens a LOT with
household vented units...
A can of compressed air works well for clearing. that ODS...