Log repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grandpacliff

Mar 7, 2024
Saskatchewan Canada
I have a 25 year old Regency gas fireplace that still works reliably. I clean and adjust the thermocouple and area nearly every year. In doing that, I have noticed that the logs are not fitting as snugly as they did when new. Is there any way or anything to use to keep the pegs sitting more tightly (more securely) in their holes.
Grandpacliff

There is no repair product that I know of that is intended for doing what you want. If I was to try to do this, I think that some small RTV silicone tubing, with an inside diameter close to your pin size, could be used. Cut it into the same length as the pins, then CAREFULLY redrill the receiver holes in the logs to the size of the tubing.

This appears to be a great suggestion except that my research has not turned up RTV tubing. However, I do think that using a judicious amount of high heat RTV around the posts and careful resizing of the holes could do the trick. I will let you know here how this works for me. Thank you for the suggestion!

Reactions: DAKSY
I think he meant "silicone tubing", which is readily available. RTV is uncured silicone, the stuff you buy in a tube or cartridge (RTV stands for "Room Temperature Vulcanizing", meaning it cures at room temperature after you squeeze it out). But high temp RTV would probably work as well.