Drolet 1800 finally in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Could you reference such code so I can read it myself? Seems strange I would need insulation with the chimney flue intact.
Perhaps it would draft better. But as of now I can have a smokey fire going and it wont leak smoke in the room.
It is clearly listed in irc chapter 10 I am in the field now and don't know the specific code number but it is there. And for the record without that clearance your chimney was not code compliant before. The existence and or condition of the old clay has nothing to do with it.

And as far as draft the lack of smoke is a good start but does not mean it is working as well as it should

It is clearly listed in irc chapter 10 I am in the field now and don't know the specific code number but it is there. And for the record without that clearance your chimney was not code compliant before. The existence and or condition of the old clay has nothing to do with it.

And as far as draft the lack of smoke is a good start but does not mean it is working as well as it should

I guess I don't know how a chimney could possibly be 1" away from combustibles without leaving a gap between it and the house....
House was built in 68 so I assume it complied with code at the time.
I looked up the liner insulation kits. I am kind of surprised that woodstovepro.com didn't include it in their kit if it was required, as the kit says its everything you need....

This is what I got. https://woodstovepro.com/inserts/wood-inserts/drolet-escape-1800-i-wood-insert-trio-db03127/

I cant seem to find out if it was required or not for this pipe.

Edit: I found the manual for the Vortex liner. It says it doesn't require insulation in a chimney that has intact clay liners if the chimney meets current code, which it probably doesn't. The chimney itself does have 4" of bricks between the clay liner and combustible materials but I am still thinking it needs insulation......

I do not want to pull the liner back out! What are my options here.... Can I just pull the cap off and feed Roxul down it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't know how a chimney could possibly be 1" away from combustibles without leaving a gap between it and the house....
House was built in 68 so I assume it complied with code at the time.
I looked up the liner insulation kits. I am kind of surprised that woodstovepro.com didn't include it in their kit if it was required, as the kit says its everything you need....

This is what I got. https://woodstovepro.com/inserts/wood-inserts/drolet-escape-1800-i-wood-insert-trio-db03127/

I cant seem to find out if it was required or not for this pipe.

Edit: God damnit. I found the manual for the Vortex liner. It says it doesn't require insulation in a chimney that has intact clay liners if the chimney meets current code, which it probably doesn't. The chimney itself does have 4" of bricks between the clay liner and combustible materials but I am still thinking it needs insulation......

I do not want to pull the liner back out! What are my options here.... Can I just pull the cap off and feed Roxul down it?
No you cannot just feed insulation down from the top. There is a pour in option but I would never recommend that for an insert. Or for someone without the experience to make sure the insulation is distributed correctly.

And roxul is not an approved chimney liner insulation. It would probably work fine but would not meet code.

From my experience, every one of the chimney sweeps that I requested quotes from were going to install an uninsulated liner in my old chimney. It was with this knowledge, as compared to what I had read here, that I decided to self install. Bholler was one of the good ones who told it how it was. So, I spent the extra $ and ordered the insulation separate, wrestling with it the whole time. Will your house burn down if you don't pull it and apply the insulation? Probably not, but I honestly haven't a clue. Will the liner accumulate more creosote because it is cooler than if it were insulated? Probably. Will you have more peace of mind if you do it? Sounds like, maybe. Bite down hard, and do it. If you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bholler
Very well said ed. It will probably be fine uninsulated. But it is not as safe as it could be. And it does not meet code which if there ever was a problem could potentially cause issues with an insurance claim.

Here is the code:

R1001.15 Chimney clearances. Any portion of a masonry chimney located in the interior of the building or within the exterior wall of the building shall have a minimum air space clearance to combustibles of 2 inches (51 mm). Chimneys located entirely outside the exterior walls of the building, including chimneys that pass through the soffit or cornice, shall have a minimum air space clearance of 1 inch (25 mm). The air space shall not be filled, except to provide fire blocking in accordance with Section R1001.16.
  • Exceptions:
    1. Masonry chimneys equipped with a chimney lining system listed and labeled for use in chimneys in contact with combustibles in accordance with UL 1777, and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions, are permitted to have combustible material in contact with their exterior surfaces.

2. When masonry chimneys are constructed as part of masonry or concrete walls, combustible materials shall not be in contact with the masonry or concrete wall less than 12 inches (306 mm) from the inside surface of the nearest flue lining.

3. Exposed combustible trim and the edges of sheathing materials, such as wood siding, shall be permitted to abut the masonry chimney side walls, in accordance with FIGURE R1001.15, provided such combustible trim or sheathing is a minimum of 12 inches (306 mm) from the inside surface of the nearest flue lining. Combustible material and trim shall not overlap the corners of the chimney by more than 1 inch (25 mm).
As for smoky fires, that should not be happening if burning dry wood.

https://www.mychimney.com/blog/the-importance-of-nfpa-211-and-chimney-codes/

I contacted the building inspector and he said that in my situation I do not need an insulated liner in there. He seemed familiar with my house and chimney situation and said it did not need to be insulated.
I am going to pull a permit and have it inspected. I will however, have to get a floor protector because the door of the stove needs to be 16' from combustibles and I don't think it is.

I contacted the building inspector and he said that in my situation I do not need an insulated liner in there. He seemed familiar with my house and chimney situation and said it did not need to be insulated.
I am going to pull a permit and have it inspected. I will however, have to get a floor protector because the door of the stove needs to be 16' from combustibles and I don't think it is.
How did the inspector possibly know if you need insulation without checking for proper clearances. And even if he comes out how is he going to verify proper clearances without tearing stuff apart? Just because your local inspector passes it does not mean it meets code. Unless they note a code violation and give you a written variance for that instance it doesn't matter they have no liability at all for things they miss. All the liability falls on the installer.

How did the inspector possibly know if you need insulation without checking for proper clearances. And even if he comes out how is he going to verify proper clearances without tearing stuff apart? Just because your local inspector passes it does not mean it meets code. Unless they note a code violation and give you a written variance for that instance it doesn't matter they have no liability at all for things they miss. All the liability falls on the installer.

The OP has been given plenty of good advice, yet does not seem to want to heed it.
You can lead a horse to water, but........

Last edited:
The OP has been given plenty of good advice, yet does not seem to want to heed it.
You can lead a horse to water, but........

...but the water might have fluoride in it?

That sounds like some of that there country music, or is it western? We play both kinds. Country and western.

There's a difference? All along I thought there were only two kinds of music I couldn't appreciate. Now I find out it's three! I don't like rap either.