drolet eco45 few question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

this is my second winter with my eco45 and i have a few question. Last year i burned around 1200$ of pellet for 5 to 6 month my house is 24 years old with old windows. now this year im trying to get to know my stove better. im trying to figure out how to get the most heat out of it at full at setting 6 with a t-stat upstair and trying to figure out how to open my damper to get the most btu.

im running with inside air do i need to get outside air to get better heat and less pellet.
how many celcius should a get out of the fan or on the door

so right now at setting 6 the damper is open half way getting like a yellow flame and have to clean the burning pot every 10 hours of burning. is this normal?

if anybody have some tips i would like to ear them please
thanks.

Hi,
Running the unit full open on 6 is like driving your car with the accelerator held to the floor...not very efficient. Normally the air adjustment should be set about 1/4" to 3/8" from closed. This creates a bit of a negative pressure in the firebox which will aid in combustion to the burn pot..and pull more air in through the airwash, keeping your glass cleaner. You mention the t stat is upstairs. This tells me the heat is not getting up there as much as you'd like. Try installing a fan directing the heat upstairs. You must keep in mind to allow the cooler air to drop down into the lower level so you create air movement. That unit is rated for 2,000 sq. ft. so it should perform for you if you can get the heat to circulate. Thus allowing you to turn it down a bit and save fuel .Ash build up can very alot depending on the brand of pellets you use. You mave want to buy a coulpe different brands and experiment before committing to a brand. Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply
i did drop it to 4 and then close the draft like you said to 1/4 to 3/8 but but the flame sitll going up like 10inch and then drop down to 2 inch from the bottom of the pot and i saw other post that drolet draft to much so i will try to close it little more tonight trying to get the flame not to low

open the draft a bit more..usually more draft equals lower, more efficient flame. You just want a bright yellow flame. If it's tall and orange..there's not enough air. It'll take some experimenting.

It is normal for the flame height to flutuate. When you adjust the burn rate all you're doing is changing the amount ot time the auger runs to drop pellets..thus...in between dropping..the flame will die down. Too much air coud cause you to have an E code as the pellets burn up before more have a chance to fall...sounds like it's just a matter of finding the "sweet spot" for your air adjustment.

Exactly...up and down for the flame. As for emptying burn pot...close to once a day or day and a half. Just keep all the holes in the burnpot clean. It's like a carburetor on a car...needs the air mix for a clean, efficient burn.

Heater Helper said:
Hi,
Running the unit full open on 6 is like driving your car with the accelerator held to the floor...not very efficient. Normally the air adjustment should be set about 1/4" to 3/8" from closed. This creates a bit of a negative pressure in the firebox which will aid in combustion to the burn pot..and pull more air in through the airwash, keeping your glass cleaner. You mention the t stat is upstairs. This tells me the heat is not getting up there as much as you'd like. Try installing a fan directing the heat upstairs. You must keep in mind to allow the cooler air to drop down into the lower level so you create air movement. That unit is rated for 2,000 sq. ft. so it should perform for you if you can get the heat to circulate. Thus allowing you to turn it down a bit and save fuel .Ash build up can very alot depending on the brand of pellets you use. You mave want to buy a coulpe different brands and experiment before committing to a brand. Hope this helps.

i do have a duct fan that pull air in the basement from one end of the house and the other and one that pull the hot air up. The stairs is in the middle of the house and the hot air rised by itselft no problem. i did try different brands of pellet and the one i use is 100% premium quality hardwood free of additives 8000btu /lb

i think i had another issue, in the middle of last year i'd open the exhaust chamber or the combustion motor if that's the right word to clean it but did not change the gasket. i think the motor was pulling air from that plate and that was causing me a negative pressure or positive pressure anyway, that's why i had a hard time setting the damper air. i did put the new gasket and i think now there's a good exhaust for what i see cause the flame look very different from what it was.

i did notice since last year there was a white ash on the baffle and the window was always white not black but white but maybe that's not because of the exhaust but ill see i did a good cleaning to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.