Drolet HT2000 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I see the Drolet HT2000 says the baffle is C-Cast. What's that mean?

Marketing speak for cast ceramic.

BG, as far as the cheaper stoves go, (30NC, Drolet Ht2000 are the ones I've found), any opinions? I know you like the square firebox on the Drolet.
With funds being appropriated elswhere, I've found that my budget has been cut a bit since I first started looking. So no longer considering Jotuls and the like. Of course, that means that the Boss Lady will probably have to live wit ha top vent stove.

I think either one would work if you can top vent. We have satisfied owners of both stoves posting here.

They both have big fireboxes. The Drolet may have a bit tougher baffle, but the Englander baffle is inexpensive and easy to replace. If you don't overload the stove you may never know the difference. The Englander tests cleaner burning which is nice.

I Agree with begreen, As long as you load it normally dont worry about it, you will never hit it.
The only thing I hit is the 1st burn tube when you put a larger piece of wood in there.

I'm partial to Englander, but you aren't alone in coming down to those two stoves. I've never heard of anybody regretting their decision past this point.

I agree with the above and don't think you can go wrong with the Englander or Drolet. I will also throw in to check out the Austral, Baltic, Myriad, and Legend stoves by Drolet (same stove different options, legs vs. pedestal and with or without shields). They are still in the 3 cu. ft. range and should still pack plenty of heat for your house. I would just look at the options and pick the stove you like the most. I have the Myriad in my 1400+ sq. ft. ranch in a colder climate then yours and after burning it last year I have no complaints. I think as far as what I would consider a "basic" or "value" stove Englander and Drolet would be at the top of my list. I am pretty picky and honestly for what I paid for this stove I think it is really built pretty well. I have laid my hands on the 30 and the HT2000 and would say the same for them as well.

Reactions: Danno77
I will agree with you guys that a lot of the specs for stoves are 'marketing baloney' and inflated to impress the customers ( burn time, sq ft etc...)

However, I've seen first hand how much better C cast is compared to any other baffles. We first adopted it on our wood furnace line and saw how much better the performance of the burn improved. It's mechanical & heat properties are also much better than any other materials out there. But its expensive stuff. We use it on all our big fire boxes for better longevity

It was designed from the same technology for the space shuttle re-entry tiles and will tolerate temp of close to 3,000 F. Try that on any steel baffles...

HT-2000 is a beast of a stove. It weights 550lbs, comes with a heat exchanger and is the only stove I'm aware of that has a 'split air wash'. Big fire boxes typically have issues performing well with small fires. The split air wash brings extra air directly to the firebed to ensure a live hot fire even when building smaller fires.

Challenge accepted ;)

Steel begins softening & delaminating past 1,000 F. Eventually cracks, warping & rusting occurs over time if submitted over these temps. C Cast keeps whistle clean and its mechanical & heat properties will not be affected past 2,600 F.

"Englander 30 pieces were found scattered up to 5 miles away after an explosion on tuesday evening at the Danno household."

Reactions: firefighterjake
"Englander 30 pieces were found scattered up to 5 miles away after an explosion on tuesday evening at the Danno household."
"Strenw" field comes to mind;)

Status
Not open for further replies.