Drolet install day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Almost got 'er in today. Need an offset adapter. Here are some pics, before, roof shots, during...

uploadfromtaptalk1444175330182.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444175419700.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444175432921.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444175452231.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444175474351.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444175397574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444175397574.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Huntindog1
Which model is that?

Curious how your install turns out. I have been looking at the 1800i trio kit from NorthernTool. The dimensions look right for my fireplace. How much area do you plan on heating with it?

Curious how your install turns out. I have been looking at the 1800i trio kit from NorthernTool. The dimensions look right for my fireplace. How much area do you plan on heating with it?
I'm putting it in the basement cause I work 3 days a week there. All the ceiling down there is wide open so I'm hoping the floors above will also benefit. Basement is about 1500 sq ft, we're "finishing" it slowly.

Hi Mass Burner,

Where did you purchase your 1800i. They are back ordered everywhere.

Thanks,

Sean

Melloyello,

Have you looked at the CW2900i? I think it's the same stove.

PS - I drove through Williamston once on the way to Nags Head. Ended up with a dog after stopping at a friend of a friends house. Long story but he was a great dog. Lived 17.5 years.

SeanG ,

I bought it myfireplace.com, 1325, free shipping.

Install complete. All liners cleaned. Bring in on...

uploadfromtaptalk1444352644764.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444352652549.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444352665891.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444352674089.jpg

Congratulations! Looks like a nice clean install.

Looks good. How big is the firebox?

You're going to want to insulate those basement walls or a lot of the heat will be heading straight outdoors.

Congratulations! Looks like a nice clean install.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can't wait for this office/lounge area to be done.

You're going to want to insulate those basement walls or a lot of the heat will be heading straight outdoors.
Yea, I know, I wanted to feel the before first. With all the joist bays open, I was hoping to see some warming of the floors above.

Figure about 1/3d of the heat and the wood burned will be heating outdoors.

Lookin good mass_burner!!!

I put my drolet 1800i trio in this afternoon, i think it looks sharp. I was going to fire it up outside to kill the break in paint smell I read about but never got around to it.

Lookin good mass_burner!!!

I put my drolet 1800i trio in this afternoon, i think it looks sharp. I was going to fire it up outside to kill the break in paint smell I read about but never got around to it.
Any pics? Mine is in the basement, so smell not an issue.

few differences, my wife did not like the silver lining on the trim so I primed and spray painted it flat black.

I added a 12inch extension w screened cap...not sure I like it but im already getting used to it.

I hacked a hole in my blockoff plate to make it easier. the flue bend was tight at the bottom but it did make it. I slipped in 2 more pieces of galv sheet metal after to finish blockff plate. I sealed plate to pipe w high temp silicone, im thinking I should have used furnace cement...

I believe the wooden decorative brackets on the mantle do not meet clearance so I will prop remove those before I fire it up.

some day I might look for a different trim piece. or cut this one down im not too crazy about it. cant wait to try it out!

what is that piece in the top of the stove. it looks like a large firebrick but feels more like a foam block...

uploadfromtaptalk1444419567344.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444419570992.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444419575931.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444419578517.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1444419580689.jpg

Nice install. I have the same stove and love it. Very easy to operate and with the 2.4 cu/ft box I get a good overnight burn. Drolet makes a solid stove and there customer support is top notch.

My install is not as nice visually. I pulled the surround as I think it gives off more heat. The wife thinks otherwise though. lol.
10252144_10151976921350670_5734236966616140795_n.jpg
Enjoy!

Brian26 - Its a nice install also, do you have an insulated block off plate, if you don't you will want to do one (approx. 2hrs work for us medium handy guys) all you need is some card board (template of the inside top of fire box) 26g sheet metal (cheap at homedepot / lowes) , roxal insulation (1) bag, and some masonry screws (to mount the plate) You will notice a huge heat improvement , then you can out the surround on and keep the blower on low (happy wife = happy life)

what is that piece in the top of the stove. it looks like a large firebrick but feels more like a foam block...
That is your baffle. It makes the smoke have to go to the front (passing over the secondary burn air tubes, allowing that whole process to happen) and then gives the hot flue gasses contact time with your whole heat exchanger (the top of the stove)
Make sure that the baffle stays slid to the back and try not to hit it with anything, they can be a bit fragile depending in what exactly it is made of
Looks good! I thought about a 1800i for a bit last year...

Nice setup. You'll want to do the block off plate for sure.

if u did want to add a blockoff plate, if u can reach in to secure it I would prob leave everything in place and put it in as multiple pieces, sealed w high temp silicone and or furnace cement. better than pulling it all apart

My install is not as nice visually. I pulled the surround as I think it gives off more heat. The wife thinks otherwise though. lol.
View attachment 163535
Enjoy!

I just had my first small fire and can see already the faceplate blocks the blower output :(

the output looks to be on the top and sides, the face plate slides in to these slots, some air is getting blown behind the face plate.

my wife also wants the face plate haha.
At some point im thinking I will replace, fabricate, or alter it in some way so that it buts the side rather than loosly slid in tothe output like it does

Is that a two story house? If it is that chimney is gonna draw like a jet engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.