Dropped a few silver maples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
DSCN0399 (Small).JPG maple1.jpg photo (3).JPG Well we dropped a few silver maples for my neighbor. Only had to haul it about 300 feet to my woodpile, not too bad of a haul. One was about 20 inches the other closer to 30. Not sure how much wood I will get out of it but will go into the 13-14 pile. Surprised the local fire dept didnt show up with the brush pile we lit up. Wow that loader takes all the work out of dropping hauling and cleaning up.

I cleaned up a couple silver maples last year. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it burned after about 6 months of seasoning.

Hydraulic assist is nice.
Still lots of work to get it into the wood stacks & start drying. Fun work though. Especially splitting the big rounds :)
It'll be some good wood in 2013 for sure!
Close to 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cords is my guess

Now That's A Fire :ZZZ
I could roast hot dogs from here :)

As for splitting silver maple, they have been anywhere from easy to really tough to split for the ones done around here. Can't figure it out.. I would think rounds of the same species but different trees would split with about equal difficulty, but haven't found that to be the case at all. Hope yours are easy-- nice catch!

As for splitting silver maple, they have been anywhere from easy to really tough to split for the ones done around here. Can't figure it out.. I would think rounds of the same species but different trees would split with about equal difficulty, but haven't found that to be the case at all. Hope yours are easy-- nice catch!

It can be different from tree to tree by a wide margin. A tree that is felled amongst many others is probably gonna be the straightest and easiest splitting. A yard tree or fence row tree will probably be tougher. The more wind battered a tree is, the more difficult to split (general rule of thumb, here).

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.