DRY AIR .... HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Have my Jotul F3CB and absolutely loving everything about it EXCEPT that the air downstairs is now dry (understandable). I want to purchase a steamer that would sit on a trivet on top of the stove. What are people's experiences with them. I saw a nice cabin one that I guess steams out of the chimney and a lot of enamel pot looking one's. Are any better than the other? Does it really help or is it simply aesthetic?

Thanks in advance!

While they make look pretty, they don't put enough moisture into the air. Get a larger humidifier.

Yaron2 said:
Have my Jotul F3CB and absolutely loving everything about it EXCEPT that the air downstairs is now dry (understandable). I want to purchase a steamer that would sit on a trivet on top of the stove. What are people's experiences with them. I saw a nice cabin one that I guess steams out of the chimney and a lot of enamel pot looking one's. Are any better than the other? Does it really help or is it simply aesthetic?

Thanks in advance!

You want something that wlll allow as much surface evaporation as possible-- ie, wide and with a more or less open top. Various places sell enameled cast iron pots with a sort of grate-like top for about 35 bucks. I put mine right on the stove to get maximum heat to the water. Since I never move it, it hasn't scratched the surface of the stove.

They don't add a huge amount of moisture to the air, but it's definitely enough so that my sinuses and bronchial thingies don't get all dried out the way they did before I started using one, and also the cats' fur doesn't get all electric. I can tell when I've forgotten to refill the thing because petting the cats makes sparks!

A humidifier works better, but then it uses power and has to be cleaned regularly. If you have room on the top of your stove, a couple of good steamers will definitely put enough moisture into the air to at least help some. (Mine doesn't actually steam visibly until the stove gets up to 500 or so, but the water steadily evaporates into the air whether it's steaming or not.)

I have a cast iron pot right on top the oslo, no trivet. Yes, it does mar the top plate a bit, but the olso is designed that it has this oval piece in the top, and I made the decision to "sacrifice" the finish on this piece as I know it is replaceable, and also, I have come to learn there is a cooktop piece that can be put in there too.

I have to fill my cast iron pot at least 2x daily, it will cook off that pot of water pretty quick if I'm burning hot.

works for me.

I use a stew pot. Heck, unless you are doing a clam bake or lobsters they really aren't used anymore.

When the serious heating season starts (now) I break out the whole house humidifiers. I'm picking up a new filter for mine tonight. Look for the ones with the largest water tanks. With the wood stove cranking you can dump an awful lot of water into the air fast.

I'm using a HM 3500 by Holmes. I think it holds 3.5 gallons of water in it's saddle bags. The big ones are quieter also.

Matt

i have a 1240 cubic foot house. i use a steam dragon. it's aluminum it holds 1/2 gallon of water. that is usually good enough for beginning and end of the season but in the thick of winter 3 steam dragons would be better. last year i used a vicks vaporizer that would hold 2 gallons. big problem was that everything around it for 6 feet had a white coating on it. floor cabinets, you name it. it was a cool mist type. i guess i'll go back to the warm type and scrape the heating element every week. that with vinegar.

The more moisture inthe air the less heat transeferance there is. If you are wet or swimming heat is wicked away from your body 3 to 4 time faster.

You dont want to add moisture. If you are feeling dehydrated drink more water and stay away from caffiene and other diuretics.

If your nose is dry get a saline only nasel spray.

I grew up on the east coast. I would not trade damp/humid air in the winter for dry desert climate. When it is 15 degrees here and I am jeans and a fleece jacket and comfortable. Versus 35 degrees back east and damp and feeling i need long underwear and a heavy down jacket and more. Its a no brainer where I would rahter be!

Remember. If your wood is green and not seasoned you are trying to burn out the water content. As Scotty would say "YE KINNOT CHANGE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS! JIM!"

Not to mention. You heating water for your humidifier. Most people do not check them or sanitize them for mold growth.

There is one attached to our heating system (barely used with the wood stove). The control is right above the thermostat. Everyone knows not to touch it.

It takes a while to get acclimated to a dry climate. Live with it and enjoy it!

keydiver said:
The more moisture inthe air the less heat transeferance there is. If you are wet or swimming heat is wicked away from your body 3 to 4 time faster.

You dont want to add moisture. If you are feeling dehydrated drink more water and stay away from caffiene and other diuretics.

If your nose is dry get a saline only nasel spray.

I grew up on the east coast. I would not trade damp/humid air in the winter for dry desert climate. When it is 15 degrees here and I am jeans and a fleece jacket and comfortable. Versus 35 degrees back east and damp and feeling i need long underwear and a heavy down jacket and more. Its a no brainer where I would rahter be!

Remember. If your wood is green and not seasoned you are trying to burn out the water content. As Scotty would say "YE KINNOT CHANGE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS! JIM!"

Well, heck, nobody's looking for that much humidity-- I hope! I'm totally with you, btw, on the dry air. I used to live near Boston, and the relief of the dry Vermont air in both summer and winter is really fantastic. Cold feels much less cold and heat is much less hot. But bone dry indoor winter air on the nasal passages is nasty, and you can't drink enough water to make up for it. Recently read about some research, too, that shows the reason flu and other viruses spread so much more easily in winter isn't because we're all shut up together indoors, as they used to think, but exactly because of the dry winter air, which makes the viruses stay in the air longer and stick better to the dry mucous membranes in your nose.

I want to purchase a steamer that would sit on a trivet on top of the stove. Excellent plan! that worked for us.

I have a steamer that seems to give plenty of humidity in the house . . . I end up filling it twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.