DS Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Anybody out there using these? Let me know how you like it if you are.. I live right down the road from where they are made and I'm considering getting one.

Probably get more bites over at the Nepa crossroads forum. I think they are a relitively new company better known for their coal stoves.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a very well built stove. It is very strong in design and has a thermostat on it (major plus). It has a large 3.6 Cu. ft. firebox with secondary burn tubes. Very nice sized ash pan. The interesting thing that I liked is its convection design where it has steel tubing along the sides which heats cold air from the floor. I am very impressed with this stove and would be interested in replacing my Quadra Fire 4300 with it.

Which model is this? If you are nearby to their factory maybe bring a camera and document some of the nice features. Do you know if they are EPA certified?

Energy Max 110. It says safety tested and labeled to U.L. standards but no EPA label....

20140222_142019.jpg 20140222_142105.jpg

Obadiah's sells'em.

Whoa, that Energy Max 110 is a furnace. Prolly best for a basement heater unless one has a large open flooplan. What they don't say is how the 110K BTUS rating was achieved. Is it with coal or wood?

I wouldn't call it a furnace. It is a convection stove with a blower option.

Capture.JPG

It can burn coal too, which isn't a bad option. It is built to be an 85 % efficient wood stove though. With secondary air tubes. It has a nice glass door for viewing the fire. Remember this guy is Amish made. If you know the Amish like I do, you know they like to get a lot for their money. This is definitely a solid stove for a little over $2000.

I think anything rated over 100000 btus is considered a furnace? Sorry for my miss interpretation there.

Any opinions on how well this might work?

The great thing for me is I live about 5 minutes away from the manufacturer. I also live about 5 minutes from a quad and harman dealer too.

Everything I know about this stove has been learned here in the past hour.

Reactions: blazincajun
They also have a new comfort max 75 that is 75,000 btu and 92% efficient.That will burn wood and coal.I looked at one of these at a dealer.It weighs 595lbs and has secondary air tubes ,and the secondary air is adjustable,thermostat damper,and the firebox has double rows of firebrick and those heat tubes through the firebox. I have a 1400 that is a coal stove and it is a good stove.The thermostat damper works great and the tubes that come up through the firebox puts out a lot of heat.One thing about these stoves is they undersize on the square footage what they can really do,without ever over firing these stoves.You won't go wrong with purchasing one of these stoves.Also don't be afraid to stop in and talk to Amos about these stoves, he will show you the stoves and make a stove that you want.

92% efficient? That is quite the claim. Are we talking combustion efficiency or heating efficiency? Do they say what lab certified the results?

They get the efficiency by secondary combustion and the heat exchanger. It is Safety tested and labeled to U.L.Standards by Guardian Fire testing.

I'm wondering who came up with the efficiency number not the safety certification. Sounds more like marketing than fact. I could be wrong but this number would make it the most efficient wood stove on the market. It's hard to accept that without accredited lab testing behind the number.

Last edited:
Just going off of what the brochure says,and I have talked to a dealer that has been burning one for a while.
I personally have not seen one burn.The dealer I talked too sells other stoves besides these.Take it for what it worth.But I have and burnt a 1400 circulator stove.

But heck BG, they say just burn dry seasoned wood at 275 degrees and it burns clean. >>

Maybe it's magic.

Well maybe.Call them.You can talk to the main guy who builds these stoves.

I'll hang out and see how it works for JAC600L.

Would love to take one for a test drive myself.

I'm wondering who came up with the efficiency number not the safety certification. Sounds more like marketing than fact. I could be wrong but this number would make it the most efficient wood stove on the market. It's hard to accept that without accredited lab testing behind the number.
They also say you it doesn't have a catalytic combustor that you have to replace every 4-5 years for $400-$800 :mad:
I get a little leery when the marketing puts out false information about other stoves, maybe it's a great stove/furnace but that turns me away when I read stuff like that.

That's funny,in the Comfort Max 75 brochure I got,it does not mention about or say anything negative about other stoves or about stoves with catalytic combustor replacement costing $400-$800.

Again call the company up,and talk to them.A person on the forum ask for info about them, I gave a little info about them,and the company and I take a beating for giving info as being False.That's great.

I don't sell or have anything in this company at all.I just own one of their great stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.