Dumb Qs - Splits and N/S/E/W

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
Could almost be a survey for the first part. When you make small splits, are you using stuff you split long ago, or making fresh splits? If making fresh, what are you using to do that (anything I should put on my Christmas wish list)? And how small is small?

What do you mean when you orient wood N/S vs E/W in a stove? I think I understand, but my stove may be aligned differently from yours... :roll:

Cheers,

John

I don't often need to do this but if so I just resplit some existing splits down. Think of the compass points with north being the back of the stove. N/S means the splits are oriented facing north, parallel to the sides of the stove. E/W means the splits are parallel to the back and front of the stove.

I do not do it, but the benefit of north south is that you have less chance of wood rolling into the glass, and can therefore load it fuller. The problem with that in my stove is that it takes up to 23 inches e/w sand only 10 inches n/s. Hard for me to only cut 10 inches. I may do some and put the bottom row e/w the n/s on top. I do find I can angle some 16 inches in n/s and that works well enough for me.

If you find yourself wanting to re split a bunch of splits I've found the best way to do this is to get a tire. Put it on the ground. Fill it with the larger splits you want smaller. Split the splits without having to set each individual split up and chase it down.

Kind of like this guy does. I'm not saying this is the best way to split wood I'm just saying it works for me with small pieces. This guy is a little quirky but it's a pretty good method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRuk_jd1f8M

Hope that helps.

If you want to try it, why not get enough for a couple loads and then compare how the fire goes one way vs. the other? That will answer the question the best for you. As for me, if I want to load the stove n/s, I'll have to turn the stove.....

DaFattKidd said:
If you find yourself wanting to re split a bunch of splits I've found the best way to do this is to get a tire. Put it on the ground. Fill it with the larger splits you want smaller. Split the splits without having to set each individual split up and chase it down.

Kind of like this guy does. I'm not saying this is the best way to split wood I'm just saying it works for me with small pieces. This guy is a little quirky but it's a pretty good method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRuk_jd1f8M

Hope that helps.

A 'little' quirky? I couldn't get past making your own wheelbarrow wheel from plywood and sheet metal - wow!

Backwoods Savage said:
If you want to try it, why not get enough for a couple loads and then compare how the fire goes one way vs. the other? That will answer the question the best for you. As for me, if I want to load the stove n/s, I'll have to turn the stove.....

Luckily, my stove (and house) are aligned for N/S burns... :lol:

This is my first season, and let me state this: I used to split some wood into pretty good sized chunks and think "those will be ok". Think like 4" thick or maybe 2" thick but 6" wide and 18" long.

What I found is that I had way too many of those and for a mid-sized stove those aren't ideal. So I've gone back and split 90% of my stuff down to maybe 2x2" or 1x2".

I'm getting better heat, better burns, more control, and seemingly MORE overall heat out of a given amount of wood. Yes, they do burn faster....but I can shove 2 N-S and 1 E-W on top of a hot coal bed and get a roaring fire for 90 minutes before needing to re-stock (air all the way open). And I used 3 pieces of wood that used to be just one bigger piece.

So for me 2.2 cubic foot firebox, I say go small and you'll be pleased at the level of control and heat you are able to get out - leave about 1 out of every 10 or 15 pieces a bit larger for stuffing the firebox at the end of the night......OR just stuff it very full of smaller pieces. They'll choke each other a bit and you'll get a slow burn if you do it right.

Joe

P.s. Stacking 2 cords of split wood and then going back and cutting it much slower feels like alot more work than just going smaller in the first place. Also, I always seem to have big pieces at hand but never enough small and medium sized stuff.

Also, I'll throw out there that I'm guessing you'll get much better seasoning, much faster, if you tend to split your stuff on the smaller side like I described.

Status
Not open for further replies.