Duraflame logs as firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
Its that time of the year when target puts all the winter stuff on sale (I saw a couple nice fireplace screens for less than $10). Well they have a whole box of duraflame logs for super cheap ($8 for a whole box). Question, if I chop these into pieces can I use them in my VC as firestarters? (I know I would have to wait to engage the cat) My gut feeling is I should stay away....

On a side note anyone looking for a cheap humidifier, they got 1 gal for $12 I think I paid.

The actual logs are much more difficult to light than the firestarters. Designed to hold flame for long periods = slow to ignite.
Look for deals on fire starters. But be warned - stay away from anything with stix in the name. They suck.

Noted and it makes sense they do advertise long burn times off one log. Staying far away Thanks.

I used one Duraflame log as my firestarter, it lasted months. I chopped of ping pong ball chunks and used two to start a fire using much bigger kindling than I would otherwise have needed. I've never tried "real" firestarters so I can't compare, but I have so much junk mail and old candle stumps that I wouldn't pay for firestarters anyway.

TE

Reactions: Defiant
Thats what I use. I have them broken up into 1"-2" diameter balls and use them. They work great. I havent used "real" firestarters either... I have a box that has lasted 4 years so far.... and at the rate i am using them, I will get another 6 or 8 out of it. We burn so much that there are usually coals at the bottom for restarts.

They work great, for $8 how can you go wrong!

I use ENVIRO-FLAME IIRC, picked them up from Lowes for $12. They work great as a fire starter. They are basically wax coated cardboard compressed into a log shape. I pull them apart into little pieces and uses a few to lite the fire.

I wouldn't use them, or junk mail, or cardboard, in a catalytic stove.

Supercedars in small quantity are pretty cheap, small so convenient to store, and last for a very long time if you don't have many cold starts. Safe fpor a catalytic stove. Give you a nice, fast, easy, hot start for your fire.

Always swore I'd never use anything but white birch bark, white pine stump kindling, or newsprint. My huge amount of white birch hasn't been touched this year....just used a few supercedars. If your stove is a cat, not worth taking the risk of damaging the cat with the stuff they put in those logs.

I'll second the super cedars they are amazing! I break them up into quarters one quarter will start a fire with no paper or kindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.