Duraliner pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccady

Oct 25, 2008
Northwest, CT
Hi Folks,

First off, thanks again for this unbelievable resource! I am STILL working on a stove install and was wondering if it is ok to terminate a duraliner oval flex pipe within the first flue tile in an existing fireplace. The pipe is 8", the existing flue is 10 3/4 X 10 3/4 ID (manual says ok, but the pipe pictured is round) I would much prefer to go with stainless to the top of the chimney (interior) but it's not in the budget until next heating season. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Technically the existing flue must be clay lines and pass a Level II inspection to verify there are no combustibles within 2" of the entire masonry structure. Also they would verify the integrity the entire clay liner structure.

The stove install would need a fully sealed block off plate at the damper area.

The result would be a worse draft and a harder to clean system.

US and Canadian code differ in the "first clay tile" question. It is not at all permitted in Canada.

There are lots of places I would try to save the money to allow me to run a full liner the first time. You will have a way better system that performs better and heats better and is safer (IMHO). If you are doing it yourself, the extra cost is not huge. You will already need a cap to keep rain/snow from entering your stove, and you are already buying 10 ft of liner to get it to the first tile, so in a two story install, you are saving the cost of 15 feet of liner, plus having to do the job twice, plus having to figure out how to seal the liner in the first clay tile - I don't believe you can just let it float freely there, but I may be wrong (does the block off plate meet the same aim?)

Find the money somewhere, and run it all the way the first time - see the best practices link in my signature block for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.