Duraliner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfish

Feb 16, 2015
Northern Maine
I posted here a few weeks back about relining my chimney, and came away thinking I would order a 5.5 insulated chimney liner to install this summer. At that time I thought that I had to put it into a 7.25 square clay tile liner. Well, I have done some further looking, and after measuring the inside diameter again at the top of the chimney I found that it was actually only 6.75" ! Yikes! I did note while I was up there though that the tiles seemed to be super straight, and no mortar hanging out either. It looked like a real clean, straight shot, and just about 19' tall.

After researching some more options, I am wondering about the 6" rigid Dura liner. I see that it has a OD of 6 5/8, so that would only give me 1/8 inch of play. Any opinions on if this would work? The 5.5 liners I have found all have a larger OD than this after they are insulated. Thanks ahead for any help.

Find you a paint or coffee can that diameter or close and lower it down the chimney. You will have your answer.

I have the 6" duraliner installed in my chimney. It was a tight fit, but went down fine with a little wiggling. It is built really good. My chimney is sounds exactly like yours and mine is 19' also. I spent about $1100 total for all the sections, tee, thimble, chimney top connector plate, and cap. I bought mine from build.com

Check to make sure you dont have any offset flue tile joints of any globs of mortar in there if it is straight without any of those obstructions it will probably work but if you have bad joints you may end up having to have the tiles removed.

I posted here a few weeks back about relining my chimney, and came away thinking I would order a 5.5 insulated chimney liner to install this summer. At that time I thought that I had to put it into a 7.25 square clay tile liner. Well, I have done some further looking, and after measuring the inside diameter again at the top of the chimney I found that it was actually only 6.75" ! Yikes! I did note while I was up there though that the tiles seemed to be super straight, and no mortar hanging out either. It looked like a real clean, straight shot, and just about 19' tall.

After researching some more options, I am wondering about the 6" rigid Dura liner. I see that it has a OD of 6 5/8, so that would only give me 1/8 inch of play. Any opinions on if this would work? The 5.5 liners I have found all have a larger OD than this after they are insulated. Thanks ahead for any help.
Too darned close in my opinion. That 6 inch gets a clamp at each joint so it ends up a bit bigger than the actual pipe of 6.625 diameter. I am guessing that if you go to the full 6 inch you will end up trying to force it into place. I would definitely avoid that circumstance.

Too darned close in my opinion. That 6 inch gets a clamp at each joint so it ends up a bit bigger than the actual pipe of 6.625 diameter. I am guessing that if you go to the full 6 inch you will end up trying to force it into place. I would definitely avoid that circumstance.
Duraliner doesn't use clamps. They are held together with rivets that are flush.

There is no clamp on duraliner

Status
Not open for further replies.