Duravent through concrete block foundation ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Can I run the double wall right on through or is there a part I need. I suspect a thimble for combustables is not needed ? There would be a good 6" clearance to floor joists with the double wall in a basement install.

Last edited:
I don't have a real answer but its got to be better than just a clay liner through the wall that most basement installs use. I saw a you tube video of a guy putting Selkirk though his concrete foundation. Nothing but a little fiberglass lining the hole so as not to scratch up the pipe.

Mine goes straight thru the poured cement wall, does not mean it is right though.

he is in Canada, might be different rules.
Well too there are different thimbles. For oil its just a super short piece of single wall pipe you mortar into the concrete to attach a pipe to. Had to replace mine last year for the oil burner. Thin junk too, still called a thimble.

I just pushed through my Concrete Block wall .. DuraVent 4PVP-WT - 4" Vent Pipe. Worked just fine.
I basically knocked out 1/2 a Block (to the mortar joints) .. It worked better than trying to Core Drill such a big hole. The cavities in the CMU made good areas to spray my Fireblock foam.

BTW - my CMU was stuffed with old newspaper! ..so yes my concrete block walls can catch on fire ...lol

May 26, 1940 to be exact. Being the History geek that I am... I painstakingly un-crumpled about 4 balls of newspaper.. unfortunately I got the entertainment section and not much of the good stuff.. England was bombing Port of Naples and Hitler was touring Paris.

Reefer madness was playing locally and Bob hope was on tour.."live on screen" which is hillarious.. Roosevelt also gives his 15th fireside chat. Worth a listen.

There is a bit of acid in Concrete, also if the pipe is in direct contact their is a chance of moisture collecting and rusting it out prematurely.
So a thimble of some sort isn't a bad idea, perhaps one with an oak in it would be ok also.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Status
Not open for further replies.