dust (ash) control during cleaning process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tractorboy924

Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
Hello new to us this year is a pellet stove. I got an ash vac but when I clean out the ashes the vac exhaust blows ash dust all over!!! its like the filter is not small enough or something to filter the exhausted air! house fills up and I cleaned filter recently and its worse than before. Im guessing again that the filter is just not small enough to keep filter out that fine ash??? Others have issues...again its a metal ash vac specific for pellet stoves and what not.

Thanks for any advise. Going to look into wrapping filter with smaller fibered material of some sort!!!!!

Thanks all. so far its working well this winter...

came from wood stove and nice with pellets vs having to cut and split and stack all that wood!!!!!!!!!!

Hello new to us this year is a pellet stove. I got an ash vac but when I clean out the ashes the vac exhaust blows ash dust all over!!! its like the filter is not small enough or something to filter the exhausted air! house fills up and I cleaned filter recently and its worse than before. Im guessing again that the filter is just not small enough to keep filter out that fine ash??? Others have issues...again its a metal ash vac specific for pellet stoves and what not.

Thanks for any advise. Going to look into wrapping filter with smaller fibered material of some sort!!!!!

Thanks all. so far its working well this winter...

came from wood stove and nice with pellets vs having to cut and split and stack all that wood!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what kind of vac you have but wrapping may help. How about contacting manufacturer to see if they offer some add-on. I use a shop vac. Ashes go into bag. Two years ago bag developed a hole. Didn't know it until wife started yelling about huge plumes of dust blowing all around onto white couch. OUCH!!! Put in second filter that is washable. Bag is single use. Good luck. Keep us posted

I'm using a shop vac also but I must use a bag in the vac. The wet/dry filter alone is not enough.

I recall reading another post where you pour some water into the shopvac before using it and that helps a lot with dust and any hot coals. I have not tried this yet but I am curious of the results.

6 gal Shop-Vac brand vac w/ drywall bag is the only way to go. A 2-pack of bags for $12 will last a whole season. Ditch the ash vac!!

Reactions: BronxBoy