Dust piles and bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
What causes this. Thank you

20231015_140048.jpg 20231015_140059.jpg 20231015_140104.jpg 20231015_140045.jpg

Yup. I get em in my wood every year. But as I always say, fire cleanses all.

I get these terribly in Honey Locust and also different maples. The holes are like pin holes in the wood. I took a leaf blower to my stack the other day and it made a gigantic dust cloud of that stuff and it just lingered in the air forever. Really just looked like smoke.

The Wikipedia article about them says that bringing in firewood is a common way that they infest homes. Spotting and eliminating them appears to be much more difficult/expensive than spotting and eliminating ants.

The Wikipedia article about them says that bringing in firewood is a common way that they infest homes. Spotting and eliminating them appears to be much more difficult/expensive than spotting and eliminating ants.
That’s correct. Ants can be treated by correcting the habitat, baiting them, and perimeter sprays.

None of these will work for PPB. The wood itself must be treated. If they get behind the walls, well, they are hard to get to. Maybe you could inject foam into the stud bays depending on insulation type.

I get those in hickory. Bark beetles that make big piles of fine powdery sawdust. It is like flour.
That's why I don't burn hickory.