Dutchwest 2181 - Replace a cracked inner top or... ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaverickH1

Nov 3, 2021
Virginia
I'm ready to start rebuilding my 2181. It's one of the early ones without the small web part on the inner top. It has a crack in that small area that they tried to fix with the removable part of the newer designed inner top.

I ordered a new inner top from FirePlaceParts.com. They took forever to ship something that they showed as in stock. Once I received it I found out it wasn't even the right inner top, they sent me one for the larger DW. This little time delay caused them to not have any of the correct ones in stock, nor does any other place have one in stock. Had I just cancelled my order when they took forever to ship and ordered from Stove Parts Unlimited who had this in stock... I'd have it by now. /sigh

So now I'm at a cross roads where I might have to wait anywhere from 2-12 weeks to get a new inner top, or make the old one work. I've already made the hearth. I've already done the chimney through the attic and I'm hoping to patch up the roofing this evening.

The plan was to rebuild the stove in place. Not sure if I should just leave it as is and put it back together. Or if I should just furnace cement it shut or solder it even though both of those will fail.

I have a CNC waterjet shop... I've considered cutting the old inner top and making my own web, but it's not exactly a simple 2 dimensional piece.

OR is there another part number that can work? I needed #0000004. Stove-parts-unlimited shows that part number 7001171 fits the DW 2181. But I'm not sure if that's a different generation than mine or what. Link to that part here which has 11 of them in stock: https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...west-inner-top-assembly-7001171-p/7001171.htm

20211208_233100.jpg

Last edited:
Fireplaceparts.com says that part number 0000003 is the correct part and that 700-1171 won't be right.

Stove-parts-unlimited says that part number 700-1171 is the correct part and that 0000003 won't be right.

Vermont Castings says "I do apologize, there are no parts available for this model. I am unable to locate a part number as well." Although Vermont Castings published a parts list that says 0000003 is the correct part... I think. Picture below.

Does anybody know the correct answer and/or what is different about the part numbers?

1639501610594.png

am i missing something here? you have a 2181 and are looking at a 2460 and fireplace parts sent you what they thought was the right part. i would get your money back from them and go with stove parts unlimited. or even faster if it's a crack have it drilled and fixed