Dutchwest 2478 is dying, looking for a new stove quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
My Dutchwest 2478 has warped again on the inside. I'm running it with small loads, but not happy. I'm looking for a new stove now, I'm intrigued by the Englander 30, but would much rather prefer a stove with the door opening on the left side. The price is right, but I'm open to any suggestions. Also looked at the US Stove Pedestal Wood Stove with Blower 2,000 at TSC.

Any suggestions?

If you want side loading I think you would need a cast iron stove. Your going to spend about 2 to 3 grand for one of those. But they will last. How much you trying to heat?

Englander NC30 or Drolet HT2000 are both respected here. Both brands offer other models as well. Both have good reviews. $1000 kind of limits your options to the box store models. Nothing wrong with that. There have been some discouraging reviews on the US Stove brand. Use the search option here on any model you develop interest in. Fire away with questions. Lots of users here willing to help.

SBI Drolet Escape 1800 and other Drolet... SBI Century FW3000. Pleasant Hearth 2200 or 1800 sq ft. SBI Century has a medium size FW2700 stove with a fixed baffle design. That may or may not matter to you.

Lowes recently had Englander Summer Heat (Madison) on clearance at many stores for $400 or $500, cant remember exactly. Door opens on right but for that price maybe something you can live with.

Well I went to Home depot and they had the Englander nc13 for $419. I asked what the return policy was and they said 90 days. Hard to say no at that price.

Why did the stove warp (again)?

Would love to know the answer to that as well. We have three or four days when it was just below zero. Had the stove cranking on that day. I loaded it up as usual and close the top, but the temperature kept on Rising all the way to 800. Had all the air intakes closed but the temperature kept on going up.

I can't just say it was the cold weather, because the stove really shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Been struggling to keep the stove at the right temp since.

I went back and checked all the gaskets, they all checked out. I took the top off and make sure the inner top and the refractory was okay.

The metal bar that holds the upper refractory piece is definitely warping outward. But I just think that holds the upper refractory in place.

My hunch is that there's an air leak somewhere and I just can't find it right now.

How tall is the chimney?

(If we can figure out a possible reason the stove warped, maybe it won't happen on the new one.)

I have 24ft of double wall on the outside above the T thimble and 5 ft of single wall on the inside from the stove to the thimble

Yes, at $420 a left hinged door is easier to live with ;)

Probably a foot to 18". Ive never read a definative place for it to be. Id put it so its well above any pot you are likely to use on the stove top. You may only need it in super cold weather so it may stay open most of the time.

Probably a foot to 18". Ive never read a definative place for it to be. Id put it so its well above any pot you are likely to use on the stove top. You may only need it in super cold weather so it may stay open most of the time.

I guess that's something good to have in there in case of an emergency anyway.