DVL damper/adapter doesn't fit snugly in Hearthstone Tribute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qyota

Dec 8, 2014
northern mn
Hey all - new guy here.

Installing a Hearthstone Tribute wood stove. I'm test-fitting the connector pipe (all DuraVent DVL), and the adapter/damper I bought does not seem to fit snugly enough in the stove collar. Here is the adapter I bought:
http://www.woodheat.com/products/ve...-adapter-damper-section-with-damper-8679.html

It fits, but it's not as snug as I thought it would need to be. Do I need a ring of gasket material in there?

Thanks for your help.

You can try the gasket. You can try RTV or you can trim a bit off the outer portion to drop the inner pipe further into the flue collar.
That being said, most manufacturers recommend having that damper at 18" or so above the stove, or at least high
enough to keep small children from being able to reach it & fool with it.

This is a hearthstone. Can't use an adapter. You'll notice that the end of the double wall section above fits perfectly into the appliance collar. That's what you're supposed to use. Shove it right on and omit the adapter section. If you require a key damper then you'll need to figure out a way to install it mid-pipe just like the single wall guys do.

Thanks for the information, Highbeam. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to use an adapter. What am I going to do with this thing now? :)

I hope I have enough DVL to make it to the ceiling without that adapter!

I appreciate the help.

Yes. I installed the stove with an 18" section on the collar, then a 68" telescoping piece, which made it no problem to the ceiling connector. Works great! Now I just need to sell this adapter/damper! :)

Thanks for the information, Highbeam. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to use an adapter. What am I going to do with this thing now? :)

I hope I have enough DVL to make it to the ceiling without that adapter!

I appreciate the help.

Hey man, I too have an extra simspon DVL adapter damper section that I would love to sell. I did the same thing as you, tried it in my hearthstone. That's why I knew it wouldn't work for you.

It fit in my BK and I used it there for awhile but to make draft better and sweeping easier I bought the non-damper equipped adapter for the BK.

Maybe I'll use it in my Englander NC30 if the single wall ever rots out.

Status
Not open for further replies.