Early shoulder season weather is a wood burner's purgatory....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you had best buy some extra blankets until that stove is in! That is pretty cold in the house. Sort of reminds me of my youth when we sometimes would wake up to find some snow that blew in around some of the poor windows. Plus my father did not believe in keeping the house all that warm during the night. Well, we learned how to dress really fast.

First frost here this morning. Fired up the insert with a few splits and added three more after a couple hours. I actually like shoulder season because it's very low key, low pressure burning. Unlike when its 10 degrees out...

Got my rack loaded right outside my front windows. Open window grab some wood. No mess in house. Had the kids load rack up about a month ago. Weather been in the mid to high 70's had windows open all night house got down to 64.

Mother nature is a having a good old time teasing me. Last night the temperature fell like a rock once the sun went down and I woke up to 36 degrees at 6:00 a.m. The house was a chilly 60 so I begrudgingly turned the oil heat on. Tonight I'll be ready-wood is stacked, chimney is clean, ash pan is emptied, and I'm parked on the couch with a supply of cold Oktoberfest watching football until it gets cold enough to light the furnace up.

Guess I missed the part about "pointed up the flue". Now I got ashes all over the place! :-S I think I'll stick to lighting crumpled up newspapers to warm the flu.[/quote]

I did that my very first time then never used it for a month, I'll use it once in a while but I find cracking the window closest to the wood stove works most of the time.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.