Early Xmas splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin2

Burning Hunk
Nov 4, 2013
Palmer, ak
my in laws were in town for thanksgiving, I naturally spent a little time with FIL showing off wood stove, wood stash and my future plans to become a more serious burner. He burns as well so he appreciates all that's involved. A couple days ago he calls me up and says he's insisting on buying me dht 22 ton splitter I was talking about for a Xmas present, he said he's all about practical gifts that will get real use.

I didn't waste much time, I bought it at lowes using lowes card to save an additional 5%. worked out to $1015 after taxes. In hindsight I'm glad we sent him packing with a bunch of salmon. Filled it up with gas and oil and made quick work of a pile of rounds I've had for awhile. Very impressed never used a splitter before so it was kind of a revelation. Cycle time seems quick, it only lugged on one round for a couple beats.

I'm definitely gonna build a log catcher for it. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want a catcher on both sides of the beam? I need some more time with it in the daylight but so far so good!
image.jpg

Same brand as I bought but the 27 ton. I Have not tried mine yet.

Have you tried vertical splitting? That's how I split all my rounds. Very nice, congrats!

Have you tried vertical splitting? That's how I split all my rounds. Very nice, congrats!
Thanks, Split for an hour today, have not tried vertical. I did split some 20+" rounds that I wanted to try vertical but I had to carry them a bit any ways so I just threw them on. I was a little concerned about the large chunks falling and hitting the hydro reservoir cap.

I will say, thus far no leaks starts and idles and splits nicely.

With the gas tank and oil reservoir cap exposed like that, I would not split any big rounds unless the unit is in the vertical splitting position.

I let one split hit the hydro cap and just physically held them from falling on that side afterword. I'll fab a decent size catcher on that side and maybe a smaller one on the other side.

You definitely need a catcher/steel guard for the engine side of the splitter. Since I split in my driveway and wheelbarrow the wood to my backyard where it is stacked. I put my wheelbarrow on the opposite side of the control lever along side the main rail, throwing my splits into the w/barrow pulling the larger half of the logs back to me and dropping them at my feet. I try to only handle the split wood twice, once into the w/barrow and then to the stack.

That cap is big, right in the fall zone of the splits. I assume it's just a filler/ vent. Mine is a 1/2" plug with a pin hole in it. It doesn't get a lot of use. I haven't put any oil in it in 10 years.

It's amazing some of the design issues you see in some of these splitters. There are a few with the engine set to the rear of the hydro tank.

I was at HD tonight and saw your splitter there. It had the log catcher on it. Yours is set up for it, those two bolt holes in the beam. It looks well made. If you end up buying one let us know the details, cost etc. It looks like it would work on any beam splitter.

That oil filler cap / dip stick is better made than I thought. But it don't think it would take many log hits before it's bending. I'd remove it and replace it with a pipe plug. Just drill a hole in it for a vent. Or cut and slip a larger pipe over it.

They want $69 for the log catcher on dht website, don't know about shipping. I'm gonna build one probably out of 1/2" pipe which we have pallets of at work. I'll post pics once it's installed. I like your idea of pipe over the cap that would work well. Around here only the 27 ton comes with the catcher. What does a 22 ton cost where your at.

I wonder if the TSC log catcher will fit? They're almost the same splitters. I paid $40 for the Log Catcher at TSC. I'll try to remember to measure the hole placement. Haven't installed mine yet.

my in laws were in town for thanksgiving, I naturally spent a little time with FIL showing off wood stove, wood stash and my future plans to become a more serious burner. He burns as well so he appreciates all that's involved. A couple days ago he calls me up and says he's insisting on buying me dht 22 ton splitter I was talking about for a Xmas present, he said he's all about practical gifts that will get real use.

I didn't waste much time, I bought it at lowes using lowes card to save an additional 5%. worked out to $1015 after taxes. In hindsight I'm glad we sent him packing with a bunch of salmon. Filled it up with gas and oil and made quick work of a pile of rounds I've had for awhile. Very impressed never used a splitter before so it was kind of a revelation. Cycle time seems quick, it only lugged on one round for a couple beats.

I'm definitely gonna build a log catcher for it. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want a catcher on both sides of the beam? I need some more time with it in the daylight but so far so good!
View attachment 146795
Damn.... You have a great FIL! Keep the kin warm and he will be good!

So here's my log catcher. I realized right away splitting that I was gonna need something. I'm gonna sand blast it and flame spray it with aluminum Monday at work so it's got a nice rough waterproof finish. The lacquer on this 1/2" pipe is real slippery.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: Minnesota Marty
Looks good to me.

Here's an action shot. I think I'm gonna put something on the other side as well maybe only 8" and make it permanent. This catcher is 21"x21" and bolted on. I also tried vertical for some big stuff and didn't really like it. I might extend the foot plate so the rounds can sit level when using it vertical.

I need to get some more wood it's addicting.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Grateful11
Here's an action shot. I think I'm gonna put something on the other side as well maybe only 8" and make it permanent. This catcher is 21"x21" and bolted on. I also tried vertical for some big stuff and didn't really like it. I might extend the foot plate so the rounds can sit level when using it vertical.

I need to get some more wood it's addicting.
View attachment 147434
If you put one on the other side, where will you stand?

Reactions: Grateful11
I have the 27 ton version of this splitter, which comes with the tray for the opposite side. I believe the machine itself is physically the same size as yours. There are two things that would stop me from adding something on the operator side, height and age. I'm in my 40's and 5'8" tall. The way this thing is set up now is perfect for me, but even adding 6-8" would make me bend my back slightly. I find at my age, the straighter I can keep my back, the longer I can work comfortably. Anyway, you may have a longer reach than I do, so this may not be an issue. I just thought I would give my $.02 before you attached something permanently. BTW, the other tray you built looks great. It's wider than the one that comes from DHT.

so it's got a nice rough waterproof finish.

I find that "slippery" works better than rough. Pulling a half round back to the beam becomes work if the round gets traction.

I have 2 of the TSC catcher's on my Husky and bent up the ends so logs can't fall onto the engine. Works well.

Finally blasted and flame sprayed aluminum on rack. Haven't tried it yet, from my little experience the frozen splits were sliding around the slick lacquer too easily and falling off. Don't know if I'll get around to adding more trinkets to this splitter or not.

Chris, I was initially going to bend this slightly like the factory one but decided to save time instead.

I appreciate everyone's ideas and .02
I am kind of a gangly fellow. Only 6'1" but I got a 6'6" wingspan, might be why I'd feel comfortable with a small catcher on operator side.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Take my advise.....my Huskee required an oil change after 5 hours.....check your manual, and follow what they say.....a very expensive oversight on my end

Bummer, you seized your engine?

The one thing that bothered me about this splitter is there was a tag that said put 20 oz of 10-30 in before starting. I was outside in dark with flashlight and measured exactly 20 put it in and it grossly overfilled and backed up my funnel and all over the ground. I brought it in garage and sucked oil out of it so it wasn't weeping over the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.