East Coast - pay attention AGAIN!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This storm, or at least the longwave that caused it, came across the West Coast over the weekend. It was attention-getting, especially for late Winter... but nothing for the record books.

I doubt anyone would take much notice of it in December or January... it's just that we're getting to the cabin-fever, "not this stuff again!" time of year.

Eddy

one thing I can't figure out is why there is no road salt left in any of the salt sheds in NY. Everyone is calling it a bad winter and we all ran out of salt. I have lived in the great northeast all of my 43 yrs of life and this is definitely not a bad winter for us. this has been one of the easiest winters I have seen in some time now. I work outside most of the time and this has been one easy working winter. All I can figure is that they all reduced the amount of salt they bought at the beginning of the season to meet the budget and lost the gamble. We are doomed if winter continues well into march around here.

EddyKilowatt said:
This storm, or at least the longwave that caused it, came across the West Coast over the weekend. It was attention-getting, especially for late Winter... but nothing for the record books.

I doubt anyone would take much notice of it in December or January... it's just that we're getting to the cabin-fever, "not this stuff again!" time of year.

Eddy
I'd agree, nonetheless as it's starting to crank up off the NJ-Long Island Coast, there are those in New England that will find this to be an impressive storm. Much more atmospheric energy associated with this system than the last one, though the last one put down a swath of snow at a very inconveniant time (rush hour) for many mid-Atlantic and northeastern urban commuters. This will just plain put sown much more water (or its snow equivalant) and generate a moderate bit of wind as well as delivering some duration to the mountains of VT, NH, and ME. We're still all wet snow here on Seacoast NH and may just manage to stay that way though we will start risking power outages if this keeps up. Things looking just enough colder than predicted we may avoid mixing or rain.

jpl1nh said:
EddyKilowatt said:

Eddy
I'd agree, nonetheless as it's starting to crank up off the NJ-Long Island Coast, there are those in New England that will find this to be an impressive storm. Much more atmospheric energy associated with this system than the last one, though the last one put down a swath of snow at a very inconveniant time (rush hour) for many mid-Atlantic and northeastern urban commuters. This will just plain put sown much more water (or its snow equivalant) and generate a moderate bit of wind as well as delivering some duration to the mountains of VT, NH, and ME. We're still all wet snow here on Seacoast NH and may just manage to stay that way though we will start risking power outages if this keeps up. Things looking just enough colder than predicted we may avoid mixing or rain.

on the news this morning they said maine parts of nh already got 14 inches of snow....@#@#@@#@#@@!

Well, the weatherman miscalculated.....AGAIN......and we only got 6" overnight woohoo!!!!! Im not complaining at ALL.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recr...ook/recreation/outdoors/map/interactive/03856 Well the "Big East Coast Storm" event has mostly played out with less than the maximum expectations. Despite all the snow in northern New England this year, the east coast has not really seen a good nor-easter. This storm has been one of the more substantial storms this season when you consider the range of impact from the west coast on Saturday through the plains and upper mid-west, the severe storms spawned by its trailing cold front in the south-east, decent snowfalls in Northern New England and overall precip dump over the northeast, and now 5 days after it's initial western US impact, its last east coast gasp. Currently 26 degrees, 10-20 mph winds and moderate snow. Still, definately not the "Big One" :red:

Hey Iceman, you just have to move up to the hilltowns if you want fun in the snow and ice. I went out to plow my plow my driveway this am; 1/3 mile ice and snow. Should have been a no brainer but the front tire on the Allis-chalmers fell off, hub and all. This tire is as tall as me and heavyyy. Had to get my neihgbors tractor and use my bucket as a skid to get back to the garage. Total, 3 hours of fun and games and now to find parts. Do I hear snow for Friday? Springfields looking better and better.

jpl1nh said:
(For all you storm lovers, weather patterns are setting up for a situation that can create a really big storm on the east coast next week. Not saying it's a definate yet, but the atmospheric dynamics that are capable of producing a real record maker may be developing. At this point, I'm only suggesting you keep an eye on it. A week out, nothing is ever definate.) :cheese: Okay, this is an edit of my original post because...Once again there is reason to keep an eye out. Yeah tonight and tomorrow much of Central and Northern New England should get 4-12", that ain't the one. Yes next week mid-week something bigger is happening and the south may have some devastating severe storms and tornadoes, looks like that one could give decent snow up west of the appalachians, but will be warm on the east coast so just rain, that ain't the one. End of next week...That's potentially "The One". All three of the main computer models are suggesting a big east coast storm, one that would impact every major metropolitan area from DC right up through Maine and with snow too. We have not had one of those this winter. Stay tuned!
Gad zooks!! still learning how to use this posting format, this is an edit update of my original post. Read above. :grrr:

Status
Not open for further replies.