Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmichigan

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2014
michigan
Does any one have experience with the CAB50? i was looking it over and seemed like a good built unit but looks are not always what they seem. My house is single story with 2x4 walls built in 77' with newer pella windows. 944sqf main floor and same in basement. i would like to install it down in the family room. i have the origanal boiler from 77 so its very propane hungry. Basement is getting insofast 2.0 insulation and drywall in a few weeks, plus sill plate is getting spray foamed

Price is $1299 at family farm and home

Last edited:
Does any one have experience with the CAB50? i was looking it over and seemed like a good built unit but looks are not always what they seem. My house is single story with 2x4 walls built in 77' with newer pella windows. 944sqf main floor and same in basement. i would like to install it down in the family room. i have the origanal boiler from 77 so its very propane hungry. Basement is getting insofast 2.0 insulation and drywall in a few weeks, plus sill plate is getting spray foamed

Price is $1299 at family farm and home

On my 3rd year with the CAB50. Heating 3000 sq. ft. with it and other stove listed below when temps drop below 20f. Have run 11 ton through it without a hitch. Good heat, simple to run, Hi Med. & low. Follow the cleaning guidelines and you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks for the feed back. Does it put out the fire and restart? Thermostat controlled auto ignition

Thanks for the feed back. Does it put out the fire and restart? Thermostat controlled auto ignition

Runs on t-stat fine, shuts off when satisfied, auto ignites when calling. I visit it once a day to pull the fire pot cleaner and add pellets if needed. Then do weekly and monthly cleanings.

I have a much older house, 1880-1890. 1400-1500sqft and drafty as hell and my ps50 (same as the cab50, just a tad smaller) does a fine job. We toss in 2 bags and refill it 25-30 hrs later after we pull the cleaning rod.
Vacuum it out every weekend and thats it (it's some we just do, we can neglect and let it go for much longer but we feel theirs no issue staying on top of it)

That's a really good price... Go get it!

Just found one online with vent kit for $1000, i'm going to get it thanks for the info guys, it brand new

Reactions: bags
So i got the stove and its been running for about 12 hours now on medium, it used 3/4 of a bag last night the fuel rod is open all the way. Is that normal usage? i have some pics.

So i got the stove and its been running for about 12 hours now on medium, it used 3/4 of a bag last night the fuel rod is open all the way. Is that normal usage? i have some pics.

Yes, that's abput right for my cab 50 also..different pellets will be different though...I am entering my first winter with out coal and pellets inplace...so far I love it...easy to work on when off warranty...great connection to the quadrafire line of stoves and parts....we'll see....a lot better than shoveling coal and stoaring coal...here comes winter...Robert in Peacham Vermont....

I have been messing around with the feed and have it slightly up from closed on low and i get around 3 to 6 inch flame. i did clean the pot and found 2 clinkers about 2 inches long, must be the pellets are not the best? only ran 20 hours

I am getting the same stove soon, maybe we can share some info in a week or two. We should both have access to the same pellets, try and get the stoves dialed in and what brands work the best.

I already have 3 different brands to try. I did buy 3 tons of one brand so I hope there good. The price seemed ok and I seen good reviews on them.

currently running medium, 3/4 closed and 20::F outside. 76::F in the basement and 70::F upstairs, back rooms are 65::F

Last edited:
What brand vent did you use?

When running on medium, is it getting to temp and turning off, or is it running non stop?

DuraVent 3", I think its running non stop. I have it set to 75::F in the cold room. I did notice smoke on start up between the connections but it goes away after it fires up, are you suppose to silicone all the fittings?

Did you use the appliance adapter? The appliance adapter did not seem to fit very good at all, When I put the tee on without the adapter it fit better.

I got up around 6 and the house upstairs was 69::F in the living room, back bedrooms around 65::F, and the basement was 74::F. I have the stove set to medium with the fuel rod all the way down. It was 22::F when i got up. this thing heats the hole house 1900 sq foot and i don't even have the vents between floors installed yet.

Thanks for the pictures. That looks like what I seen, the rope that help seals is not touching or sealing anything. You just have to seal it up with hi temp sealant. your suppose to use the adapter, but my tee with clean out fits better.

Sounds like your stove is working good and your enjoying it. How well is your house insulated and is it a some what open layout? I hope when I get mine in it will heat the whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.